Multiplayer in Ren'Py

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Multiplayer in Ren'Py

#46 Post by Adorya »

Gah sorry, my question was pointed to eyerouge and not bloodywyvern, still the answer was interesting because at the end I got it : thread moving to MUD and roleplay.

About the LD case (player disconnecting due to various reason, RL, boredom...), depending on which state the story is, the computer could just give a predefined text to the other player, thus ending the story (sort of a game over). It can happen on mail/forum/RL roleplay when the game abruptly end due to ooc reason, the GM just briefly give a conclusion and that is all, though left player can be unsatisfied if any still are...

The problem about "unexpected development", is sometimes you work hard to go into one path, and if suddenly someone completely change it, it can lead to quite a disappointment. That is why I think Multiplayer Dating VN will be even harder than a classic multi VN story to make :mrgreen: . Sure, it happen on solo player too, but in multi I doubt you will be able to reload your game to the last save...
Usually a roleplay session is a "one-shot", no players or GM would want to start other the same game with the same players...

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#47 Post by Wintermoon »

Jake wrote:Again, too much unwarranted jumping from the specific to the general. You can only declare the problem definitely solved for the extremely small subset of users which consists of you alone. :P
I have reduced the problem to one of how to make fixed-pace media interesting, which is (in general) a solved problem. I do see your point about voice acting, however. How about discarding all text outside of menus and making a fully animated interactive movie? At that point it can no longer be called a visual novel, but it should retain many of the essential properties of a visual novel. Or, to take a completely different approach, write an interactive opera and let the music determine the pacing.

eyerouge
Regular

#48 Post by eyerouge »

about this thread

I recently suggested, in this thread, that it seems as if it has meandered into almost too many directions and that it copes with too many questions at once. While the thread has served us/me as an excellent starting point & brainstorming about pros and cons with multiplayer visual novels (MVN:s) and the genres plausibility, I think it's hard to navigate it and/or use it for a more detailed discussion about each and every specific question. Add to that that there are some points that weren't even in my original suggestions, and we have a rather chaotic thread that's hard to follow.

I'm delighted about the high amount of participation in it and wouldn't have imagined so many posts. Nonetheless, I also see it as a call for more structure. That way every sub-topic, every issue and idea, can get the attention it deserves in a more accessible format. As it currently is, it's hard for newcomers to the discussion and even those who have been in it from the start to actually understand anything from it. Even more so for me as each and every time I have to reply I must address a number of issues at the same time and answer a number of different authors.

It's because of the above reasons, and those only, I won't participate in the thread any longer. Instead I still suggest that each and every topic (problem/idea) gets it's own dedicated thread. That way we can coordinate the communication way better. As for you guys, you are free to discuss it however you want and keep on using this for brainstorming, but I myself will only reply in the niched threads due to methodology. I also hope this isn't miss-interpreted in any way.

Of courtesy, and to return the favor of those who took the time to address me most recently in the thread, I'll give them a my last reply in here. Again, I'll use the nicknames as titles. This time around I'll try to keep it short and direct, so the language may sound crude at time (English isn't my native tongue, I'm Swede).

Jake
I'm a frameworks programmer for an online application, and holder of a CS degree.

The reason I asked, however, is that mathematicians - and those in similar disciplines - use phrases like 'I have demonstrated' and terms like 'proof' to mean quite specific and sometimes quite different things to that which - say - an artist might use them to mean. So it helps when such terms are being thrown around to understand whether or not the person you're talking to means the same thing by them as you do.

That said, I was under the impression that philosophers tended to do a fair bit of logic...
Thank you for explaining - I probably took it the wrong way the first time I read it ;) ..and yes, I agree that definitions should be top priority, something that hasn't been the case in here unfortunately, not even from my side.

You're impression is/could be correct: There are a couple of philosophical academic disciplines/areas: Logic is one of them, ethics and politic two others. I've only studied logic for a year or so, so I'm actually semi-acquianted with it. What I usually do is study phil. ethics & politics. I think you yourself point out that the use of it only matters when the assertions are true, and yes, so it is. Since most of what we've been talking about is empirical we seem to more or less to disagree, on some points, about how reality is. The best part with such disagreements are that they can usually be solved by going out to it and having a look or doing an experiment, just like you suggested that I code the thing myself ;)
You think it's solved, but your solution basically involved making a fair number of simplifying assumptions. Which is fine, so long as you're aware that each time you made one of those assumptions you're narrowing the potential userbase down even further.
[Here we're discussing the waiting times as a result of different reading speed]

I fully agree with the part about losing user base. I also still believe that the problem with waiting times is solved because I presented two solutions:

1. "Mini-games"
2. Extra fiction

Each of those could work as a way to occupy the faster reader if he needs occupation. A MVN could have one of them or even both. I have seen nothing in this thread which I have understood as some kind of argument for why any one of these two solutions won't work. (I have only seen your worry about that the extra fiction will cause extra lag, and I also replied that it would not since signaling could be used.)

If the solutions work or not in the end MVN would ultimately depend on the author, how she'd implement them, and on the player, if she found them interesting enough to kill waiting time with. I'm aware that the author can fail with them, but don't consider it a problem since the same can be said about a single player VN, and thus is still not a problem with RenPy (the tool) but a problem with the user (the author/player).
OK. I don't like the language, /../ it would just include a lot of page-loading if you did that. But hey, for a proof-of-concept that should be OK, surely?
If nobody does give some kind of add-on to RenPy a shot, I think I will actually write a MVN as a concept. However, I'd do it in mIRC and it would be playable on IRC, with any client of your choice... simply because it would be easier and smoother for me. It would also be fully textual due to that. If this happens it will after all the discussions in this forum about MVN:s are at a halt and when I get some time from the university, which translates to this summer. If somebody feels like doing it before me with RenPy or an add-on to it I would prefer that, as using a real engine would always leave a better impression (working or not) even if it is a prototype. I'd also still contribute with my donation since I actually believe the concept is worth trying out.

I also agree with you when you claim that proto-typing will reveal things we haven't considered or can do so by discussing, thus the above change.
The whole watching-paint-dry thing was an analogy for multiplayer VNs; /../ looking at the wall on your own is a single-player VN. It's a thing which you have little control over, can only interact with in limited ways (e.g. by blowing on it, or by choosing from a multiple-choice menu every now and again) and broadly speaking it plays out in the same way every time you try it - the paint dries, or you follow the paths through the VN to the pre-scripted end. /../ You play the game, and it's different because you know there's a human on the other side of the wall/Internet.
[Notice, my italics in the quote]

I'll be frank with you. The point you have made is one of the most interesting ones I've read in here and it is a key question of proportion, without denial. I'm not sweeping it under the rug. If you are correct about the answer it would mean that very few, if anyone, would play a MVN. If you are wrong, well, then at least that obstacle (and it's a major one to consider) is out of the way.

First of all, let's clear something up. You also write "...supposedly - according to your theory - the game is worth playing because of the social aspect of simply knowing that the other player is there." No. I really don't claim that. The game would perhaps be fully playable and at least or more enjoyable as single player VN. It would all depend on the author and the nature of the game.

I'm not saying that every multiplayer game gives its players what they hoped for. I can't guarantee you that 1) the author has written something worth playing 2) that you'll find and download it 3) that you'll enjoy that particular story/music/graphics or 4) that you'll have a pleasant experience playing it with P2 since I don't know how well you work with each other and how well P2 works with 1 & 3. Multiplayer is still just a function. That alone doesn't enchant anyhting. If I have a turd in my pocket and me & you multiplay it it would still be a turd however much we took turns to squeeze it.

What I do claim is that putting another player on the other side of the wall usually seems to bring something to the overall experience or parts of it, and that this something which it brings can only be explained by sociological and/or psychological factors. That is the only thing I claim that a MVN can offer that a single player VN can't offer (not unless you count imaginary friends etc ;) ).

I claim that it is that way because it seems as a reasonable conclusion if you check out the countless possibilities human have to interact, directly or indirectly, IRL. In the case with a MVN the interaction is "indirect" (something I can contend but which I wont in here because my intro to this post.) To me, humans seem to prefer to rather sit silent and look at a wall next to another silent person than to do it alone. It would ultimately depend on every person and her preferences and purposes, but in general it's safe to say that humans are social animals. As such even non-activity can be social, per sociological definitions of not else. All this boils down to a discussion about humanity, our ways to be social, what we find in it that pushes us to strive towards such activities, and also psychology.

Here I get the feeling we're both laymen. I don't know how much related stuff you've studied. I myself have studied sociology for about 6 months at the university, mostly basic stuff of course. I wouldn't say I'm a sociologist nor that it really matters in this discussion what either of us have studied. I'm also only "revealing" that fact in order to show where I've gotten my influences from, for better & for worse. Experiencing something and relating it to social factors is something that's easily done in many cases. It doesn't mean I'm correct to assume that it's also the case with a MVN. All I'm claiming is that any activity that involves "multihumans" seems to be a subject for at least some sociological factors (granted they're aware of each other and function like average humans etc). Exactly which they are and how they work etc is something that's way beyond me - I lack the proper education to lecture about the details.
There's been no mention of direct communication, and in fact I strongly believe that it would detract from the VN-reading experience - so you only have trust in the game that there's a human there at all. You play the game, and it's different because you know there's a human on the other side of the wall/Internet.
I have mentioned direct communication in one of the replies somewhere in here, where I pointed out that a basic chat would be needed. Not as a feature to play the game with, but more as an emergency solution to communicate with the other player if you need to go to the bathroom, want to continue playing tomorrow or whatever. I share your reservation towards it and agree that it would lead to detraction from the MVN.

And yes, you would have to trust the game that there is a human there. Just as you would do with many other games: If I play Monopoly, Chess or a card game through the internet, how do I know that it's not a well-scripted AI? ;) Yes, I know there are games where you can detect that you're playing against an AI, and there are still games where you can't unless you already have knowledge about the AI in question. I don't understand the point: RenPy would indicate that somebody connected to your MVN (if you host). It would show the players nickname somewhere, preferably not inside the MVN. You'd know that it's probably a real human that connected and wants to play with you, especially since the genre is/would be small and you wouldn't rely on random meetings in the internet but plan ahead instead and usually play with somebody you have communicated with beforehand. Now, it's true that you would never know that it's a human. The fine part here is that it doesn't matter if it is or not. I'm saying that the belief (the one which you'd probably call "knowledge" if you're an average person..) that it is is enough for you to play a MVN, something we'll soon return to.
So - if P2 walks away, and P1 doesn't know, then it's equally fun for P1 before as it is after?
Yes and no: It would still depend on the game at hand.

I mean, you designed the game where they stared at the wall. In that particular case I'd say that the psychological and sociological factors which P2 brought into the world of P1 when he entered the wall-staring-game would still be present if P2 sneaks away without P1 knowing it. It's nothing strange with this at all. Reality is perceived and a state of mind for the human individual, especially if we talk about it from the individuals point of view. [I'm not talking about the reality science can describe to us regardless of what some people think is real or not, I'm talking about the individuals thoughts on reality, and those are just baseed on perceptions, thoughts, relations, ideas, feelings etc.]

Maybe the university has brain damaged me, but at my institution we don't make any difference between a situation where 1) you really believe that your girlfriend loves you while she in reality doesn't and always tricks you into believing it and 2) you really believe that she loves you and she really does. With not making any difference and the situations being the same I mean from your own point of view, with regards to if you feel loved or not by her. What I'm trying to say (jesus, I should avoid this all together...) is that there is no rational reasons for why you should prefer situation 2 instead of 1 if you never will find out the truth about her deceit and she acts identically in both cases. Thus, reality is a perception for you. Whatever you perceive, is real, for you.

All this equals to that it doesn't matter if P2 walks away if P1 still thinks he's there... (unless of course, the wall staring game was very complex, lacked a script, and demanded human responses and so forth.) P1 would still live in is world, where he has a pal on the other side of the wall, P2.
This leads to the obvious question - why bother having P2 in the first place, from P1's point of view? The experience apparently doesn't change when P2 is removed from the equation, so long as P1 believes P2 is still there.
I'd say that the question isn't really obvious: If P2 would never have been there then the psychosocial factors would also never be there for P1. They need to be initiated, meaning, P1 must believe that he isn't alone there staring at the wall. Once they are in place a belief is initiated and their effects will show (I gave some stupid examples of those in a previous reply). With other words: In order to become a part of a social thingie you need another human presence and some kind of an understanding that you are somehow related by the situation/whatever. In a MVN that would be the context - being in the same drama at the same time, knowing that whatever the other player does it could affect you and vice versa, knowing that it's not just about you + script + author but also yet another actual mind that maybe even has information you lack. Short, it's about knowing that you experience, share and interact indirectly which makes it, from a psychosocial point of view, a different experience to play a MVN. That is true even if you could play the same story solo and reach the same ending by doing the very same choices.
So - how does a multiplayer VN differ in experience to a single-player VN which lies to you, tells you it's connecting out over the Internet (maybe checks it can access a website periodically to maintain the illusion) and pretends that some other player somewhere is travelling through the story with you?
In most cases not at all.

I'm not sure, but I believe there are some stuff that can be written which arguably could be more interesting to play with a real human and that it in such cases would perhaps involve having different info (as an example) or being a very complex story that would require heavy scripting. Then again, I'm not sure and it doesn't matter much, so strike this last part as I'm aware that most things can be scripted.

What I fail to see here is how it matters that it doesn't matter if a player really plays with another player or not as long as he thinks he does. [This has probably to do with my notion of individual reality perception and would explain why you asked the question..]

The thing here is that it's vital that the liar-VN never gets caught in the act. If it would get caught it would matter. If not, then no, it wouldn't matter. Then again, if somebody was to implement your liar-VN, what are the odds that it's not caught eventually? I don't know. It almost seems easier to implement a real multiplayer support than to start faking it ;) However, I'd be behind the faked solution as well if it couldn't get caught or I never got to know that it got caught. [In reality, it would be easy to bust it though, I tell my partner to play with me... and that person would of course not be able to connect or connect and make choices that didn't matter and we'd understand that something interesting is cooking...]
If it's the same experience with fake-multiplayer as it is with real-multiplayer, then there's actually no value in the multiplayer aspect itself, the value lies in believing that another human is joining you in something. If that's the case, then it probably doesn't matter what that something is, it doesn't have to be a multiplayer VN, it could be watching paint dry.
Multiplayer-something get's it's value in part by the social factors. It doesn't get it's full value of them. This explains plenty, I believe. Usually we call games/activity where people engage together to be entertained or experience something "multiplayer". The same where no real human can join is usually not called that. Personally I don't care what the MVN:s are called as long as a majority of the people understand that they're not single-player.

Since the social factors don't explain the whole value of multiplayer game named x and there are other factors at large, many which are perhaps unique to that game or a combination of them, there are still rational reasons for why most people would differentiate game x from game y and those with, say, staring at a wall.

I believe you have oversized the importance I have given the social factors. I would never claim that they alone would account for why people choose an activity instead of another. All I suggested was that when people choose activities where more than one person is involved there is usually a social factor to it and that it most often seems to contributes to the total experience, for better and for worse, and in different ways depending on the whole setting.

Lastly, I have no hard time imagining that there are indifferent people, in the sense that they'd very well indifferent to if they watch a wall or play a MVN. As I've written before, MVN isn't a godlike activity that would interest every living soul. Neither is any other activity I know of.
MUDs, MUSHes and so on are all freeform-storytelling games, as is Second Life, and the non-combat roleplay part of any MMOROGAMAPOG. These benefit from multiplayer because otherwise you don't have any imagination to see new things from - you cannot be curious about your own creations, because you already know everything about the
Just a quickie: Do you believe that people would play them if they were uncertain if it was a real person or a computer on the other side (given what they see the other players do looks credible and readable etc)? Since we have already been discussing this and I suggested that it matters a lot that you believe that it's a human on the other side that you're playing with it would be interesting to see what you make of MUDplayers that know for a fact that all the other players are computers. My guess is that you'll say that the amount of MUDders would become lower. If so, wouldn't the thing that amount of ex-players would miss with an all automated MUD be... partially... the social factors? With this I'm just trying to show that there proabbly is an un-explicit social factor in MUD:s and that it's reasonable to assume that it matters. If so, it follows that it also matters to know if it's a cpu or a human you play against, even if the output looks the same... does it not?
My point is that these are the only two classes of multiplayer game that I can think of which currently exist - and a multiplayer VN quite definitely isn't either of those things. It doesn't benefit in multiplayer from the competetive aspect of a sport-analogy game because it doesn't necessarily have any competition, and it doesn't benefit in multiplayer from the creativity of a freeform-storytelling game because the players themselves have no opportunity to be creative, they're just selecting options from a menu.
You are right, a VN is neither to 100%. What I'm saying is that it is or could be a little bit of both, all fully depending on what you make of it. Hence, what I write wouldn't be true for every MVN since an author could produce crap in every respect.

It's not true that competition must be defined or even should be defined as you do, even if it sure sounds as a good start. I would like to point out that there's nothing weird with making it a sport and feel competitive when for example playing to finish Monkey Island (a point & click adventure game) before your friend does. To you guys, it could be a sport, it could be a competition, one which is even way more intriguing than playing rugby or whatever, You can compete in an adventure game, at least a well written one, since logic is involved in it. So, if you can compete in Suduko (spelling?) or some logical puzzle game and accept it's competition, then why on earth should it be impossible to find a story based game where you compete? Solutions to the story would simply require you to use your brain (else game over or whatever). Again, it all depends on what type of stories you produce. All I'm suggesting is that the feeling of competition and the understanding of skills etc isn't a necessary problem for a MVN.

In the same fashion, I challenge your thoughts of user creativity. We both agree that it's creative of a MUD player to write:

"Hello long forgotten Wolf hero. I have come here with my magic bagpipe to create a grizzly whirlwind so thou shall not fear thy nightly demons again..." (english warning.. and this is just an example, we can agree on any player input)

We both believe, I think, that the player is using his creativity and is creating something. We also believe that that process enchants the game genre, and partially makes him to want to continue MUDing.

Now, what you don't seem to believe is that the user selectig pre-written choices in a MVN is not creativity. I challenge that notion and I believe I'm in good company if you re-think it: It's true that selecting among pre-written options doesn't require the same amount of engaging activity and it's also true that the form of the creativity to a part is and looks different. But, consider this:

In a MUD the player plays in a context. He knows he's a dwarf. He knows what he can and cannot do. He knows a lot of stuff which both restricts and gives freedoms. Point being, however many freedoms he has, he also has a shit load of restrictions. Now, those were only the worldly and general restrictions. Add to those the restrictions in every dungeon/room, and also those depending on your co-players and what they expect you to do, your role in the party, your mission, your skills and so on. Again, you have plenty of restrictions.

So, whenever the MUD player decides what to do or say, he is not free. He selects, and he evidently selects under restrictions. The only difference here is that the amount of restrictions differ greatly in a MUD and a MVN.

Now, look at a normal VN that has x amount of selections. Why does it have the selections, if selecting is not interesting for the player? It seems to me as even when the player is really restricted, like he is in a normal VN, it still is interesting to actually get to select and/or have the option to do so. If I was wrong about this and most VN players don't want a single option and really don't get anything out of selection, then it's reasonable to think that most VN:s would totally lack all such interaction. You might argue that they do it to see different branches and that would be harder in a MVN, however, I hold that it would be true even when the selections only were a part of the same branch since it would still affect something in the story, or at least give the illusion of it affecting it.

If it's true that selecting brings something into a singleplayer VN then it's double true that it brings the same thing (and lag ;) ) into the MVN. Thus I now assume that selecting, even in it's simplest form, does bring something to a MVN.

Back to the MUD & MVN analogy. How does the larger selection freedom in a MUD negate what the limited selection brings to the MVN? Answer is that it doesn't.

They are still two different things, I agree with you on that. What I don't agree with is that making selections, even when you just do 2-3 of them or only have 2-3 things to choose from every time you do choose, doesn't involve creativity or activity. It would, as always, depend on the story how interesting you find the choices and how engaged you'd be in selecting the "correct" choice. That said, if you have been reading the story until that point, you "must" actually think and use your brain before you select something. Say 3 different options are presented to you. You'd have to read them all and play with the thought about what would follow if you selected a before b, or c before a and so on. You're play with the thought equals thinking, and since you have to think about what each option could lead to you, you would have to use your imagination and/or logic (depending on game).

The above also doesn't mention what a player does while he plays, in between cut scenes, intro, selection boxes. Many players actually imagine stuff that has to do with the fiction at hand. They fill in the blanks, get hopes up, or are afraid that something will happen and so on. As a player you always relate to the gaming world somehow, or at least you probably should if you're playing a VN and the author knows his shit. All those relations you have, whatever they are, will in different ways affect what you select when you are offered a selection. Some of those relations are also highly creative.

Those are the reasons for why I actually believe that playing a MVN would be creative. It would be in a sense I tried to capture in the above. No, it wouldn't create a story from zero, but it would, all depending on the players imagination and intents etc, create a story that is a product of both his and the authors creativity. I'm not saying anything about the proportions since they are obvious. Even if it's the author who does most of the work it seems as if what "little" interaction and creativity is needed actually is enough in some games. As an example, I would use the point and click adventure gaming genre, with games from Lucas Arts & Sierra On-Line as the prime example. Many of those games allows you to speak by selecting pre-written options. The rest of the games are usually simpler puzzle solving - bring this to there and do that and something else happens, repeat. In reality you aren't really that super creative when playing them. You are very restricted in many of them, and despite of that they're still a huge success.

Let's not go into the equalizing part. I'm not suggesting those games equal a VN or a MVN. I'm saying that selecting among a few lines of pre-written text in those games seems to work and be interesting as it has consequence. Yes, it would relate to everything else in those games. I know. Fact is that there are scenes in them where it doesn't or does so very poorly.

Forget them all together: The players selection matters, and that makes the selection worth a while. It goes for VN:s, and, the same will go for MVN. Creativity is there. Spinning a story, that's creative. Figuring out who murdered somebody, or whatever, that gives your choices meaning. Being a cause to events that follow and having to guess what they'll be, and so on. Again, if not so, how is the worth of choices explained in a regular VN? I'll admit that my explanation isn't full or covering all aspects of them. I'm just trying to show that there is creativity at large in different ways when making a choice and that it does engage people.
Perhaps "psychosocial"? ;-)

Seriously, though - you seem to be suggesting that the actual other person doesn't matter, only the belief of the single player that the other person exists. Which means that multiplayer isn't actually important at all, just belief in multiplayer. Which is curious, to say the least.
[My bad with the wording: Psychosocial is actually a real word.. in Sweden.. lol. It's psychological + social, and used whenever you refer to stuff that connects to both, which most usually do. ]

Yes, I'm suggesting just that. Not because I want to make life harder for people in here, but because it seems that it's the case with human psychology and there's no point for me to lie about my belief. This has been explained in greater detail above somewhere, I hope it doesn't look as strange now as it did in my previous posts.
OK, so this leaves what, exactly, that they have in common? They both have stories, I guess, but so do paperback novels - and the story in a MUD is sourced from a totally different place (the player) to the story in a VN (the writer).
There are programs that ate designed to MUD with. Many of them have scriptable commands and/or the ability to use shortcuts. Imagine a scenario where the user pre-wrote most of his responses and actions in the MUD program, and every time he played, he just selected one of those pre-written responses. Say he starts with 10 000 such options (which is optimistic since restrictions in the game and what he can do etc etc would allow him way less, not counting different way to express the same things). Then narrows them down to 5 000, and then to 100, and then to 10. What does this tell you? In my eyes it seems as he comes closer and closer to what would be the case with a MVN. Somewhere along the road he stopped playing a MUD and started playing a MVN. Why? How do you decide? Because of the number of options available, or, because his actions were comfortably pre-written? ;)

Say it's because the number of actions. Okey, what is the magic number, and how do you figure?

Say it's because they were pre-written. Okey, what does it matter, if he would have written the same thing on a logic level? (there are a million ways to express logical relations with natural languages, but on a logic level a phrase like "widow" = "wife who has a dead husband". ) You'd now insist that he wouldn't write the same thing, not in language nor that it would have same logical implications. Okey, I agree, maybe. Then I must ask if this if the only thing that makes a MUD worth playing is that a player can freely express herself. You would probably be bound to answer "no". Then, after listing plenty of stuff, you will sooner or later say something that implies that social factors are present.

So, those, and the fact that you do have very much pre-written content in MUD:s, would be what they'd have in common. Them being primarily "reading games". However, I'm prepared to diss my pointing out of the MUD and skip it as a reference altogether since it actually creates more problems in the discussion than it has proven to solve. :P You are correct enough that MUD doesn't serve as a good analogy.

Wintermoon

I'll drop the mud-references since they have served no real purpose in my attempt to express what I was aiming at.

Sethaniel
(Again, apologies for not having the relevant texts at hand.) The proposed system of multiplayer VN, in my understanding, is one wherein all the possible choices for both sides have been preprogrammed by the author. To me, this doesn't seem all that different from using random.choice to make one "player's" selections. Could someone explain why/how (in terms of story structure or enjoyment) having another person choose from a list is better than having the computer make a random selection?
That's exactly what I explain in a number of my posts, mostly in polemic action with Jake :P

In short: People seem to prefer to play with other real people instead of computers. Why? There are many explanations and it often also depends on the game. However, in most cases it also brings a social aspect - doing something together, sharing the story, both being part of the experience of direct interaction with the story and through that indirect interaction with each other. Perhaps, depending on the game, also competition or co-work. For more details, see my posts, it's all there.
side note: For me, the fun of playing an RPG with another person is in the shared creation of a story. It's in the unexpected plot developments, the ability to leave the "main story" to forge your own path, the way in which a insignificant flavor-text character can become a hero, just because one of the protagonists liked their voice, and asked them to come along on the adventure.
Yes, and I agree - it's the same for me, and most RPG:ers would agree. However, the goal with a MVN isn't to replicate a traditional genre that's already around. It's to be a MVN.. meaning, "the same thing" as a VN but where some of the options are made by P2 instead of all being made by P1. You could of course use it to create RPG games where you hade 10 options in every selection screen, it would come very close to some more traditional games, but, I'm not advocating a certain use of MVN:s - I'm advocating the multiplayer functionality.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#49 Post by Wintermoon »

eyerouge wrote:And yes, you would have to trust the game that there is a human there. Just as you would do with many other games: If I play Monopoly, Chess or a card game through the internet, how do I know that it's not a well-scripted AI? ;)
When I play a sport-like game online, I don't care if there's another human on the other side. In fact, all else being equal, I would prefer to play against the AI. I do care about playing against an interesting and challenging opponent. When there is no AI that can provide that experience, I resort to playing against humans.

Playing against a specific human in a face-to-face setting gives me the opportunity to socialize with that specific person, which can be a good thing. Playing against random strangers on the internet gives me a potentially interesting opponent (a good thing) at the cost of having the interact with a random stranger on the internet (a bad thing).

Sethaniel
Regular

#50 Post by Sethaniel »

Talked with some friends of mine regarding this issue. (They are gamers, but not really into VNs.) Their general consensus was:

A visual novel is like a book, right? We don't get how reading could be multiplayer, you can't read a book in competition/cooperation with someone else.

The point I thought of when they said this is that regular novel reading does have a human interaction aspect, but it doesn't occur during the reading portion. It's when you and another person discuss the book which you had each previously read alone that the interactivity comes into play.

(In other words, a VN already is multiplayer. We all read it, then talk about it in the forums, discussing which ending is the "best" and which character is our favorite.)

I'm sure you can make something like a VN that has a multiple-input capability. I'm just not sure it's a VN anymore. It's more of a graphical MUD or something.

eyerouge
Regular

#51 Post by eyerouge »

Sethaniel wrote:A visual novel is like a book, right? We don't get how reading could be multiplayer, you can't read a book in competition/cooperation with someone else. /../
I'm sure you can make something like a VN that has a multiple-input capability. I'm just not sure it's a VN anymore. It's more of a graphical MUD or something.
They're right about the reading part. What they didn't see, or saw and was left out, is that many VN:s actually involve the key element of gaming: Decisionmaking through selection. Interaction.

It's a matter or wording. It doesn't matter much for what it is if we call it x or y, even if it matters in the language and for marketing etc. What it is is still the same even if we call it "Turd-Games".

Since plenty of VN:s have options in them and are referred to as VN:s, among other things, it makes some logical sense to me that a VN for more than one person could be called MVN (Multiplayer Visual Novel). The same already goes for all other genres to the extent that the word multiplayer is added in the games description or genre (multiplayer strategy game, or, strategy game with multiplayer support). But sure, for the sake for the argument I'd be all fine with calling MVN:s something different, like your suggestion for example, even if they'd probably be way closer to a VN than a MUD.

When the interaction happens doesn't really matter. All games have some time in them where you don't interact and/or just watch the screen since it shows info, in the form of pictures, icons or text etc. So, not interacting while you're reading in a MVN doesn't make it non-multiplayer in any way.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#52 Post by monele »

A visual novel is like a book, right? We don't get how reading could be multiplayer, you can't read a book in competition/cooperation with someone else.
This could work if VNs were only Kinetic Novels with no choices at all. Then it'd be very close to a book. But most VNs *are* interactive to some degree since there are choices. You don't necessarily get the same experience each time you play it, compared to a book or movie.
(In other words, a VN already is multiplayer. We all read it, then talk about it in the forums, discussing which ending is the "best" and which character is our favorite.)
If so, books are multiplayer, movies are multiplayer;.. and even single player games are multiplayer :). You can *always* share your experience of something, that doesn't make it multiplayer ^^.

Jake
Support Hero

#53 Post by Jake »

monele wrote: If so, books are multiplayer, movies are multiplayer;.. and even single player games are multiplayer :). You can *always* share your experience of something, that doesn't make it multiplayer ^^.
The important part being that the multiplayer in those instances is outside of the lifetime of the game. Although arguably, going to see a movie at the cinema with friends or a partner is 'multiplayer' in the same sense as eyerouge's multiplayer VN, because an important element is doing it at the same time as other people (regardless of how direclty those other people do or don't affect your enjoyment of the movie).
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

eyerouge
Regular

#54 Post by eyerouge »

Jake wrote:The important part being that the multiplayer in those instances is outside of the lifetime of the game. Although arguably, going to see a movie at the cinema with friends or a partner is 'multiplayer' in the same sense as eyerouge's multiplayer VN, because an important element is doing it at the same time as other people (regardless of how direclty those other people do or don't affect your enjoyment of the movie).
(answering this because it referred to me & that's not my view at all so I thought I'd clear that up... will try to stay out of this thread due to reasons already given.. ; )

In your wall scenario, which you designed yourself and wasn't really about how one uses the word multiplayer or not, but more about showing a different point, I held that the perception of reality is what usually for most "normal people" determines the subject account of what is real for them as participants in any event. In the design of your wall example there were no interactions involved. That doesn't, as I argued, stop people from getting an altered psychological state since knowing that someone is around usually changes your perception and/or thoughts of things and therefore could also lead to other behavior than if you were alone. What I was aiming at wasn't that your wall example would be an ideal MVN or a really easy way to understand the interesting parts of multiplayer. I have never claimed such a thing. Main difference between the MVN:s I actually do advocate and your wall example could be the level of direct and indirect interaction between the players and also how such interaction takes place. Even if there in theory could exist players who were perfectly happy with the interaction level of the wall example I believe something more is required and can be in place in the MVN:s I imagine are doable, if they are to appeal to a broader audience. For me the wall example was about showing something about reality perception and not showing something about interaction.

You are correct that I have suggested that doing something together with other people and sharing the experience is a vital part of multiplayer, but in your quotation it almost sounds as that I believe it was enough on it's own to declare x as multiplayer. Since I've consistently spoken about not only sharing experience but sharing the experience of interaction and also held that the social aspects alone don't explain multiplayer and are only elements of the phenomenon, I must deny that it's "regardless of how directly those other people do or don't affect" you in the supposed multiplayer movie experience.

With other words, I wouldn't suggest calling a movie experience multiplayer even if it does have social markers associated with it (sharing aspect, for one) which can also be found in multiplayer games. [Then again, we could have an interactive movie here where 2 players each have a control in their hands and take turns to do decisions for the characters. That would actually be "equal" to what I suggested as MVN:s]

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#55 Post by Showsni »

How's a multiplayer visual novel suppsoed to work?

Obviously the idea of a multiplayer novel is silly; and by extension, a multiplayer kinetic novel.

So the only possible multiplayer elements creep in at the choices. (Or maybe minigames).

Would this be a cooperative multiplayer (working together to defeat the game) or competetive (working against each other)? How would they work?

Hmm...

I'm reminded of a computer game my sister has called "Jennifer is Missing." You have to explore a city, find clues, and discover what happened to Jennifer. You could make a game where there are four or so members of a sleuthing club, each with unique skills and abilities. Each person plays the game at the same time, but goes off on their own route, mostly ignoring the other players; except, their are some routes which are only open to certain characters, or combinations thereof, and each player pools their findings. Say, at the initial choice one player visits the docks and another visits the church; the docks player finds a map and brings it back, the church player finds a key, then using those two items together they can follow the map to a house and use the key to open it (i.e. a new route opens up). One woman might only give a clue to the person playing the little girl character, one NPC might only be able to be defeated if all four characters are on that page, and so on. There'd need to be some kind of messenger type text interface for the players to pool their clues, or call over the one character who can get past a certain point, or whatever.