Google Summer of Code

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Google Summer of Code

#1 Post by PyTom »

I'm thinking of having Ren'Py apply for the google summer of code program. I'm curious if anyone would be interested in working on a project over the summer. I'd also like to know if anyone (with software development experience) would be interested in signing up as a mentor.

Some ideas for projects:

- An improved launcher, that also handles updating Ren'Py, and maybe downloading/updating games.
- Improved editing tools.

of course, if someone has an idea, I'd also add it here. These should be software projects, as I doubt Google would fund making a new game.

If you're interested, please respond quickly, as the deadline is on Wednesday.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Hentai Senshi
Regular

Re: Google Summer of Code

#2 Post by Hentai Senshi »

PyTom wrote:I'm thinking of having Ren'Py apply for the google summer of code program. I'm curious if anyone would be interested in working on a project over the summer. I'd also like to know if anyone (with software development experience) would be interested in signing up as a mentor.
I'm probably up for mentoring, depending on the details of the project.
Project statii:
Yuri no Yume: Wet Night: Released!
Tentacularity: Released!
LoliFindsKitten: AlphaBetaThingy...

Jake
Support Hero

Re: Google Summer of Code

#3 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote: I'd also like to know if anyone (with software development experience) would be interested in signing up as a mentor.
I'd be more than happy to act as a mentor so long as it's some field I can actually help in. ;-)

PyTom wrote: Some ideas for projects:
Another thing that comes to mind would be relatively-automated/integrated-into-the-game-making-workflow version control. Working over a central internet site for added bonus points. I'm not sure how well this would fit into the scope of Summer-of-Code projects, though.

Basically, I think it'd be cool if there was an option on the launcher when you create a new project to make use of version control, so that - say - whenever you close the SciTE editor, or run your game, the launcher automatically enters your changes into a version control DB so that you can roll back to a previous point at any point without having to set SVN or CVS or whatever up for yourself. Kind of like Apple's Time Machine, I guess, only cross-platform, specific to Ren'Py games and actually working. ;-)

It would to my mind be even more awesome to be able to, from within the launcher, sign up to a centralised version-control system (maybe Sourceforge? I don't know how friendly they are to automation, but something like that) which you can tell your fellow team-members the details of, so they're all always working on the same version of the game with the same files you are. I guess this would be trickier, getting people to agree when a file is ready for commit and when not to bother, and dealing with merges and so on... but I've heard one too many horror stories about things getting lost with no backup to not think it'd be useful nonetheless! I know I'd struggle without SVN to keep myself and the other guys on our NaNo project in synch.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found