Can Ren'Py be used on a chromebook?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Can Ren'Py be used on a chromebook?

#1 Post by namastaii »

If I got a chromebook (ran with a chrome OS obviously) would I be able to install Ren'Py on it? Does anyone have a chrome book?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Can Ren'Py be used on a chromebook?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Not easily. If you got an intel chromebook, installed Linux on it, and then ran the Linux Ren'Py - then maybe. But it's not really meant for Chrome OS out of the box.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

JaxxyLupei
Regular
Projects: Dance With Me? (A date sim)

#3 Post by JaxxyLupei »

Man that's unfortunate. I too have a Chromebook that I take to school with me. It'd be amazing to be able to develop a game while in between classes.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#4 Post by netravelr »

JaxxyLupei wrote:Man that's unfortunate. I too have a Chromebook that I take to school with me. It'd be amazing to be able to develop a game while in between classes.
Well, in reality all you need is a text editor to work on your project in terms of writing the script and programming; then you can compile the game when you get home....
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

#5 Post by namastaii »

True, I thought about just writing up stuff in a notebook and transferring it to ren'py later. it'd just be more convenient to do it all on the spot and be able to even test the game in between adding script and such. I mess with a lot of gui type stuff. So all I'd really be able to do is type up storyline/dialogue type stuff and basic coding but I wouldn't be able to implement actual format/indentation until later and that sounds really tedious.

I was thinking about getting an acer chromebook. it was pretty cheap but had really good reviews. I think I read that you could still get linux on there but that also sounds tedious. Hmm. I was just wondering. It's not too big of a deal