Game not Running on Mac (but ONLY when downloaded...)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Eike
Projects: Because We're Here ~Mohnblume und Blauerose~
Organization: Studio Elfriede
Tumblr: becausewerehere

Game not Running on Mac (but ONLY when downloaded...)

#1 Post by Eike »

Hi! Quick question - my game isn't running on Mac, and I have absoutely no idea why. I have Windows, but I've been playing around with it on a Mac to get to the bottom of this... The interesting thing is that when I physically transfer the .rar to Mac using a memory stick, the game runs absolutely fine, but when it's downloaded off the internet (i.e. how I get my game out to players), it says 'The application "[game name]" can't be opened.' (with an image of the Finder icon.) Likewise, other players who downloaded it and tried to run it on Mac cannot.

I've tried several different builds of the game. I've tried storing/downloading them from Mediafire, Dropbox, Megaupload... and always, that error. Whereas, when I put the EXACT SAME files on a memory stick, they work perfectly. I'm very confused! Is there any precedent for this? Does anyone have any idea what's going on? (I'd like to release my game to a lot more people than I currently have, but I'm having to keep it very low-key until I've figured out what's gone wrong with Macs...)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Game not Running on Mac (but ONLY when downloaded...)

#2 Post by PyTom »

I'm guessing it has to do with unpacking and repacking the zip file. That's not supported, since it loses permissions information. Give them the original .zip file, and things will likely work.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Eike
Projects: Because We're Here ~Mohnblume und Blauerose~
Organization: Studio Elfriede
Tumblr: becausewerehere

Re: Game not Running on Mac (but ONLY when downloaded...)

#3 Post by Eike »

Oh! Yes!! That's it. Had unzipped to delete the .rpy files, but have realised that can be done while it's still zipped. Thank you so much!