Making the "Realistic Snow Effect" float upwards?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AERenoir
Veteran

Making the "Realistic Snow Effect" float upwards?

#1 Post by AERenoir »

How do I edit the Realistic Snow code to make it float UP instead of Down? I like that effect more than I do SnowBlossom, but I wanted to use it for particles that float upwards instead.

What part do I edit?

orz
Regular

Re: Making the "Realistic Snow Effect" float upwards?

#2 Post by orz »

SnowParticle is where it's forcing speed to be positive. Then you'd have to set it so the snow would start from the bottom of the screen, not the top - which basically requires messing with yborder or ypos. Again, in SnowParticle I'd probably change the "self.ypos = -yborder" into something like "self.ypos = yborder + config.screen_height" so now the particles are starting below the screen.

AERenoir
Veteran

#3 Post by AERenoir »

I did that. It's still falling downward :(

orz
Regular

#4 Post by orz »

I was actually meaning to play around with it last night and see what I could do.

I, uh... ended up playing video games instead.

I'll try and look at it tonight.

orz
Regular

#5 Post by orz »

I just tried playing with it. What did you change that it was still falling down? When I implemented the changes I mentioned, I didn't get anything falling.

EDIT: I got it working. You also need to change "if self.ypos > renpy.config.screen_height" on the 'update' function to something like "if self.ypos < 0" so that it's not immediately destroying it when it's being created, since it's being made below screen now.

I'm... a bit late, but here it is! Blame Diablo 3's new season.