Ripping characters from commercial games

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ElinG

Ripping characters from commercial games

#1 Post by ElinG »

Whats the easiest way to rip characters from visual novels? I mean games from G-Collections, for example.

If I could make the backgrounds in the game transparent that would be easy, of course. But as it stands, I have to use Photoshop and the "magic wand" tool and that takes ages and with poor results.

So any ideas? I don't plan on doing anything big with this, so its not a matter of ripping anybody off. Its just for my own entertainment.

Re: Ripping characters from commercial games

#2 Post by Guest »

Not completely the advice you're looking for, but more than occasionally, there's ripped cgs out there with the characters already in a transparent png form/ black bg in bmp form.

ElinG

#3 Post by ElinG »

Ah right. Found a torrent that has a lot of them. Not the game I was looking for (Bazooka Cafe), but should be something useful. Thanks.

ElinG

#4 Post by ElinG »

Awww...man. These are all just the cut scenes in this file. Where can I get some ripped characters with transparent backgrounds as the person above said?

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#5 Post by Hyperguy »

The easiest way to rip images from a game is to use an image ripping program like Susie or Grapholic.

Here's two useful guides for cg ripping:

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58013

and

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8143

As for G-Collections games, that really depends on which title.