NVL dialog and normal dialog at the same time?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Cart

NVL dialog and normal dialog at the same time?

#1 Post by Cart »

Hello!

I have a question : is it possible to use both NVL dialogs and normal dialogs at the same time?
I'm using the NVL mode to simulate command lines on a computer (the screen is my background scene), but I'd like the main character to comment on what he's typing, but when he speaks with a Character (not a NVLCharacter), the NVL screen isn't displayed anymore and there is nothing on the "screen"...

can anyone help me? do you have an idea?
thanks!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: NVL dialog and normal dialog at the same time?

#2 Post by monele »

Sure, just declare different characters. Use "Character()" for regular VN style, and "NVLCharacter()" for NVL style. You might want to check the official documentation for the exact syntax but that should work ^^

Cart

#3 Post by Cart »

Err... to give an exemple :

Code: Select all

init:
    $ computer = NVLCharacter('SAF48', what_prefix=': ')
    $ angel = Character('Angel', color="#c8ffc8")
    image bg screen = "screen.png"

label start:
    scene bg screen
    nvl clear
    computer "Access Denied"
    angel "How come?"
    return
You can't see the NVL text when the character (not the NVL one) is speaking... :(
Attachments
img2.jpg
img2.jpg (5.82 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
img1.jpg
img1.jpg (6.08 KiB) Viewed 1795 times

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#4 Post by akemicchi »

I have a question : is it possible to use both NVL dialogs and normal dialogs at the same time?
Actually, as far as I know that's not possible. NVL dialogues and normal ADV dialogues don't stay on the screen when you switch to the other.

Instead of using NVL mode, maybe you could just make the computer screen's words an image and show it instead? You type the whole thing out and even crop unwanted parts with im.Crop... But it'll probably be annoying if you have a lot of dialogue screens where a Character speaks. ^^;

I guess another way is to make a new layer underneath the transient layer (the layer including the dialogue), and maybe over the master layer (the layer with all the backgrounds). With that, you simulate NVL mode with UI Functions such as ui.text, without having the screen be erased... But that's kinda hard and confusing to program, and I don't even know if that'll even work. xD;;

I think your best bet is to keep using NVL mode, but then replace the background with a screenshot of the NVL dialogue where the ADV mode Character will comment. :D

Cart

#5 Post by Cart »

Yeah, I was first using a lot of images then I told myself that maybe there was something else to do the trick... :P
Oh well... too bad... I guess I'll just use the crop function, thanks again !

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

Oh, sorry Cart, I didn't understand what you were looking for ^^;. If I had to do that, I'd also try something like what akemicchi says, with layers and all... but it *is* rather complex ^^;

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#7 Post by chronoluminaire »

You could use "show text" to make Ren'Py treat the NVL-style text as an image, to put dialogue on top of it.

I thought there was a way to tell a Ren'Py Character to use a different layer so that their text doesn't get cleared out by a normal interaction, but it doesn't look like there is. So "show text" or images look like your options (unless you want to write some layers code yourself).
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!