Transferring Ren'py projects/data to new computer?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
sonorousgem
Regular

Transferring Ren'py projects/data to new computer?

#1 Post by sonorousgem »

Hi, my computer is really old now and just blue-screened again, so I may just have to get a new one soon. If I got a new one, how would I (/would it be possible to) transfer my WiPs or any kind of Ren'py data to that computer? I have a Windows now... would it matter if my new computer was a Mac?
This is probably a frequent issue, but I would appreciate getting referred to other threads where this might have been discussed. Thanks in advance!

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

Re: Transferring Ren'py projects/data to new computer?

#2 Post by Zetsubou »

You should be able to just move the Renpy folder from one computer to the other, projects and all.
As long as you know which folder contains your Renpy installation and your games, there shouldn't be any problems.

The only difference I can think of (from Win -> Mac) would be that you'd run the renpy.sh file instead of the renpy.exe file.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

sonorousgem
Regular

Re: Transferring Ren'py projects/data to new computer?

#3 Post by sonorousgem »

Oh, that's so intuitive lol. And I was just curious, I'll probably end up getting another PC... thanks!!