how do i use ren`py

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
wind
Regular

how do i use ren`py

#1 Post by wind »

ive dled it and installed it but every time i click it this game/tutorial thing pops up how do i start the game making process on 4.4?

Herumutsu
Regular

#2 Post by Herumutsu »

Opening the file script.rpy (in the game-folder) with any simple text-editor like Notepad would be a good start - you can then look at/edit the script to your liking.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#3 Post by kara24601 »

I was wondering this too , I was reading and reading the tutorial / online manual and when I was trying the various executibles , I realized there's no "viewer" or "tool" in the "normal" way I've come to expect / comprehend it.
Things like Adrift have something you can instantly recognise as being "oh here's the creation tool if you want to make a game and there's the player / viewer if you you're only interested in playing games"
I thought it had something to do with shifting of scripts into text and back again but I wasn't sure if that really was the case and how to go about it without ending up with a non-working product.
Then again I've barely started trying to understand...soo...
*laughs at self*
I know it's a bit lazy , but wouldn't it be cool if there WAS an "easy" / "instantly viewable" way to work with Ren'Py?

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#4 Post by Megaman Z »

~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

kara24601 wrote: I know it's a bit lazy , but wouldn't it be cool if there WAS an "easy" / "instantly viewable" way to work with Ren'Py?
Your best bet is to go to "Open with...", "Notepad", and check the box to always open with. (Replace Notepad with your favorite text editor... I use xemacs, but it's a hard one to learn.)

Ren'Py comes out of a tradition of scripting languages, where specializeds tools are not necessary.

I've been meaning to put together a Ren'Py specific text editor, but it's always been low priority since it's not something I'd use.

kara24601
Veteran

#6 Post by kara24601 »

Thanks all.
Now I'm all cofused about making it playable ( exe file ) , I read that thing about changing the "run game" ico or whatever but I don't understand why / how that could or would run others' games. And the link for the explore thingie didn't work.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#7 Post by Megaman Z »

hold please...

Use google's cache of it [ http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:hf ... orer&hl=en ]
~Kitsune Zeta

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#8 Post by chronoluminaire »

If you've changed the .rpy files in the game directory, it's already playable. Double-click run_game.exe and tada, your modified game!

Initially I recommend you modify the script.rpy file of the demo. You can add new characters in the "init" section, with your own images (put them in the game directory), and modify the dialog under the "label start". Once you've got your game ready, there are ways to distribute it so that the script isn't visible and the icon's changed, etc, but don't worry about that yet! :)

kara24601
Veteran

#9 Post by kara24601 »

Whoops , I didn't even think about just trying to google it.
That's what I usually do when I've got a problem with something ( research ) , but I guess I had so many things on my mind at the time that despite using google alot , I didn't even consider it....
:oops:
Thanks.
-------------
Do I absolutely need python and pygame?
I downloaded and installed both of them just in case.
I also have that other thingie - ( um...from where people were talking about changing the game icon with an explorer or whatever ) - now.
At first I couldn't get pygame to install but luckily I found and got the right dll so after that it installed fine.
For anybody else - that would be :

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... ml?msvcr71

or

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... svcr71.dll

if for some reason the first url doesn't work anymore all of a sudden or something.
--------------------------------------------
messing around and reading , taking small steps...
changed character's name and pics to things like yoko and yoko veryhappy
changed some stuff around and I think I missed one but I'm just excited seeing the changes work at all..
I know...small thing...easier than I thought it would be but still...wanted to share.
*laughs*
Played with around a bit with pics , like , for example , made a "black pencil" version of the whitehouse pic...whee!
I'm confused as to why my copy of the main menu ( recolored purple with Black lettering / text for a title) looks crappy around the Black lettering...I'm going to try it as a .gif next...maybe things will look better then..but for now it uses a semi-crappy jpg version. Sigh.
Since I'm not really doing a full game , I'm calling it Attempt.
Yep , it looks better as a gif. Hah. I knew I was doing something wrong.
I put in a splashscreen...fun , fun!