Ren'Py 6.6.2 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 6.6.2 Released

#1 Post by PyTom »

I've released Ren'Py 6.6.2 "But I Get Up Again". This release contains a number of requested feature improvements, including an imagemap-based main menu, new text tags, improved menu customization, and more. It also include performance enhancements (especially to Jpeg loading) and bug fixes.

Downloads and a full release announcement can be found at:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/releases/6.6.2
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

Re: Ren'Py 6.6.2 Pre-Released

#2 Post by delta »

As far as I can tell so far:

1. _window_during_transition works now. However, it doesn't show my styled text window during the transition, but some other one.
2. About half of my menu transitions stopped working for no apparent reason. I'll look into this.

P.S. The latter seems to be due to some transitions depending on configs not being called automatically anymore. That could maybe be due to my custom layouts, and I'll just call them manually for now. The former is a real problem though.

P.P.S. Testing further, I've found some very undesirable interactions with skip mode and transitions (enter the game menu and tap CTRL to see what I mean). Also, _intra_jumps stopped working (at least it doesn't do the transition in it anymore), and toggle_skipping ceased to exist, making the game crash once tab is pressed.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

(1) was less of a bug and more of a change in how we showed windows. I've changed the empty-window-display code to use style.say_window["empty"] rather than style.window["empty"], and that should make things work a little nicer.

(2) Was more complicated, and had to do with the new implementation of renpy.restart_interaction(), and how it interacts with transitions. That's fixed now, and the code became simpler as well.

6.6.2b, which includes these fixes, has been uploaded to renpy.org. Thanks, delta, for giving me decent feedback.

EvilDragon
Veteran

#4 Post by EvilDragon »

Kewl, thanks for the updates! Did the sound-playing-when-rolling-back issue also got addressed?

Thanks for NVL window in rollback styling. Does this mean that everything that is in NVL window (text, menus etc.) can be separately styled for rollback? An example, maybe?

Regarding _window_during_transitions - does all that mean that it will now work propertly with NVL mode (showing an empty screen rather than empty line of dialogue)?

EDIT: No need for examples, I figured it out on my own. But...

I have made that the text is differently colored when the user rolls back. And it works, for scrolling back and forth OK. But, if the user rolls back to a certain point (that he/she accidentaly skipped for example), and decides to continue reading from that point onward (via mouseclick, or space, whatever), the text remains in rollback-color. Wouldn't it be more logical in that case, to break out of rollback mode into normal reading mode? That is, if the user dismisses when in rollback mode, he/she gets out of rollback and continues reading normally. Also, this should be also applicable to ADV mode, not just NVL.
Angels of paradise, angels of sacrifice
Please let me be under your wings...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

Re: Ren'Py 6.6.2 Released

#5 Post by PyTom »

6.6.2 final has been released.

renkenjutsu
Regular

#6 Post by renkenjutsu »

Awesome! Thanks PyTom! :) This is my best news for the day.
Currently working on:
Kensai : On hold till Masters is done. Grrrrr...

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#7 Post by Watercolorheart »

So far, works mostly flawlessly. Even got rid of some of the minor nigglies hounding me from 6.6.0 that weren't game-breaking but required workaround code.
I'm not even the same person anymore

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

#8 Post by Jo'ogn »

The new {=style_name} text tag cause text to be rendered in the given style (for example, {=foo}text{/=foo} causes text to be rendered in the foo style.
I don't know if this is related.

Code: Select all

init:
    $ style.rot = Style(style.default)
    $ style.rot.color = "#F44"
    $ style.rot.bold = True
I took the code for a style from the "demo". While the style works in my game - seemingly without any problems - Lint gives:
Ren'Py 6.6.2b lint report, generated at: Fri Jul 18 21:24:36 2008
L:\renpy-6.6.2\Kassiopeia/game/script.B.rpy:32 Text tag '' is not known. (in '{=rot}Meine Antwort?{/=rot}')
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

BigFish
Regular

#9 Post by BigFish »

I'm using 6.6.1 right now, and I'm wondering, is the extremely annoying "{w=#} tags malfunction when they are in a position the text that is higher than the characters per second speed" bug fixed? I use this feature a lot, and I had to actually rewrite some lines of my game because of this bug. (Or just live without the dramatic pacing a pause in the text allows.)

....heck, I'm not sure why I'm not downloading this new version anyways. Imagemap menus = awesome. :mrgreen:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

I've fixed the bugs given in the past two posts... they'll be in 6.6.3, which will be released shortly. (In the next few days.)