reshow 'say' window as button Action

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Vaendryl
Regular
Projects: Sunrider
Organization: Love in Space
IRC Nick: vaendryl

reshow 'say' window as button Action

#1 Post by Vaendryl »

So during dialogue I have a button that shows a full-screen store, but I'm not sure if having it on a higher zorder than the say window is recommended. therefore I tried hiding the say screen and showing it after, but Show('say') doesn't work as it requires 2 extra values (who and what) which is not what I want. normally, the window hide and window show statements do what I want, but I can't find a python equivalent anywhere.

looking into 000window.rpy shows me that these statements pretty much just set the store._window boolean, but addressing this manually somehow (e.g. SetVariable('_window',True)) doesn't work at all. anyone have any other ideas, or should I just set zorder to 101?

mobychan
Veteran
Projects: The Chosen - Sakura Pink & Gentian Blue
Organization: Foresoft

Re: reshow 'say' window as button Action

#2 Post by mobychan »

are you using show screen or call screen?
usually if you want to interact with the screen without interacting with normal gameplay you use call screen
The say screen shouldn't be visible in this case.

Vaendryl
Regular
Projects: Sunrider
Organization: Love in Space
IRC Nick: vaendryl

#3 Post by Vaendryl »

since the store screen is shown by the user pressing a button I have to use an Action to do it instead of regular statements, and there only seems to be the Show action and no call screen equivalent. I could write a custom action, though.
thanks for the reply!

mobychan
Veteran
Projects: The Chosen - Sakura Pink & Gentian Blue
Organization: Foresoft

#4 Post by mobychan »

Could you show us your code?
I never had problems with using Show("screenName") for this