Ren'Py+Android. How to make app take up whole screen?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
franny

Ren'Py+Android. How to make app take up whole screen?

#1 Post by franny »

(English isn't my first language, please bear with me. On top of that, I'm new to ren'py, and dev in general, so this might be a total noob question. I haven't read much of the documentation yet.)

So, I've compiled it into apk and all that, and it works. I've tried it on two phones so far. It works okay on my bigger screen phone, but there are black bars on either side. I think it has something to do with the aspect ratio, or something, but I'm not sure.
It would be nice if there's a way to make the background and GUI things scale to fit the whole screen, but have the sprites stay the same. Since phone screens tend to be of different sizes, I wonder how that can work. Is there a way for me to detect the screen resolution when it first runs and... I don't know, maybe scale and place elements based on percentages...? I'm rather lost.
And I want to be able to have the text sizes and button sizes different for each different screen size, like with smaller screens having larger text and stuff, so the user would have a better time?

What should I do? Please point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py+Android. How to make app take up whole screen?

#2 Post by PyTom »

This is a feature we plan to add sometime soon, but it's a hard one, since we need to check that the important parts of the interface remain on the screen. For now, there isn't a good way to avoid the letter or pillarboxing.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

franny

#3 Post by franny »

I see... Thanks for the quick reply!
I guess for now I'll just set it to the most common screen resolution for my country.
Anyway, keep up the good work, PyTom! I'm looking forward to future updates~ :D

Jibus
Regular

#4 Post by Jibus »

I am also interested in this. Fow now, I am using differents sets of images according to the aspect ratio of the device : 3.2, 16.9 and 4.3.

The downside is that the app is quite big. You can use JCC in order to reduce the weight.

Kozelek

#5 Post by Kozelek »

Hello, I am also interested in this feature.

A different (but related) question: Could it be possible to allow deformation when ren'py automatically resizes a screen? E.g.: I have programmed the game to be 3.2, but allow the images to get deformed to 4.3 if they encounter such a screen. Could this be possible to do in Ren'py?

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by xela »

Kozelek wrote:Hello, I am also interested in this feature.

A different (but related) question: Could it be possible to allow deformation when ren'py automatically resizes a screen? E.g.: I have programmed the game to be 3.2, but allow the images to get deformed to 4.3 if they encounter such a screen. Could this be possible to do in Ren'py?
Yes, but just just the images will not do the trick... you'll have to make sure all of your custom screens are up to the task. Something like that was discussed here:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... or#p377733

As long as this method works and you can anticipate correct ratios, you should be able to make it work.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Kozelek

#7 Post by Kozelek »

Thanks a lot xela! That will really help!