Help. -Newbie, obviously

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
OtomeRisa

Help. -Newbie, obviously

#1 Post by OtomeRisa »

Ugh, really stupid, stupid, stupid question but...I was working on my script.rpy file and I added a new image, right? Well once I did and put in the command "show [insert file alias here, lol]" i saved and clicked launch project on the ren'py application to see if it showed up yada yada and i skipped through the game until the particular image would supposedly show up, BUT....It didn't. It was just the background. No sprite. I know how to properly add images into the game, for the most part, so I don't know why this happened. :oops: Can someone please help me? :(

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Re: Help. -Newbie, obviously

#2 Post by Godline »

Did you define the image before the 'label start'?

Onishion
Veteran

#3 Post by Onishion »

One thing I'm just going to throw out there is that you might want to set up a "test room" in your game, while you're still developing it, and set the game to start there. That way, you don't have to skip through things that are working to get to the point you need to test, you just make a clean space where you can do whatever, and jump there right after Start, then when you're done and want to play the game normally, you can remove that Jump command and the game will play as intended.

As for the specific problem, it might be a definition issue like Godline said, it might be that the image is displaying off screen. You say "show [name]," have you tried something like "show [name] at center"? it's possible that the default alignment or shape of the image causes it to display off screen. It would help if you could chunk out any code that involves that image file, and remember to put it in [ code ] [ /code ] blocks when you post it to this site.

OtomeRisa

#4 Post by OtomeRisa »

@Godline Yes.

@Onishion Thank you but I tried that just now and it still doesn't show up. (I also tried this with another sprite that worked previously, & a background and it seems that all images don't work. they didn't show up either.)

Code: Select all

show sprite Alyss normal
is how i did it.

Onishion
Veteran

#5 Post by Onishion »

Hmm. . . I never really got into the traditional way of displaying Renpy images, I stick to single-word labels to keep things simple, but the problem might be in the phrasing. When you defined the image, did you say something like:

image sprite Alyss normal = "images/imagename.png"

or did you use some other way of doing it? If you just did "image Alyss normal" then it might not work. I can tell you that if I define the image like I did there and load it like you said you loaded it, it does show up in my game.