NVL mode text window

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Blue Bunny

NVL mode text window

#1 Post by Blue Bunny »

Hi! Well , I have a question . In NVL mode , it's possible to customize the text window , like in Fate/Stay Night? Here's a screen of Fate. And I have other question : I have a black background , but , I want to write "Two years ago..." (for example) and after that "I was in London , but now , I'm in Fuyuki City." (Al this is in NVL mode) But , I want to put this without "nvl clear" , and , I put this on my script:

Code: Select all

label start:

n "Two years ago....."

n "I was in London , but now , I'm in Fuyuki City."

But , I see the text two times. First , I see "Two years ago..." but , then , I see "Two years ago...." with "I was in London , but now , I'm in Fuyuki City." I want to see "Two years ago..." and , then , with the first text stopped , "I was in London , but now , I'm in Fuyuki City."

Sorry is I explain this very bad :(

And thanks in advance ^^
Attachments
fate screen.PNG

BellosTheMighty
Regular

Re: NVL mode text window

#2 Post by BellosTheMighty »

It sounds to me like you want the screen to say those two lines as if they're placards at the intro to a movie?

Well, I'm a Ren'Py novice, but it seems to me the best way to do that would be to whip up two backgrounds in an image editor, each a black screen with the relevant line, and then use fades between those backgrounds and a plain black background so as to achieve the effect that you're looking for.

About resizing the NVL window, that I don't know.
----
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass." -Andrew Plotkin

EvilDragon
Veteran

#3 Post by EvilDragon »

It seems to me like you want to show first the first part of the sentence, and after the user clicks again, the other part of the sentence. You have a {w} text tag for that.

label start:

n "Two years ago.....{w} I was in London , but now , I'm in Fuyuki City."
Or, if you want to show first "Two years ago..." and then the other part, but erasing the previous, you do nvl erase:

label start:

n "Two years ago....."
   nvl erase
   n "I was in London , but now , I'm in Fuyuki City."
About changing the nvl window, of course it can be done. Look into 00nvl_mode.rpy file to see all the style variables there and change some properties, like this (put this in options.rpy of your game):

style.nvl_window.background = "#0008" #color- the "8" here can be a number from 0 to F, determining how much is the nvl window transparent!
style.nvl_window.yfill = True
style.nvl_window.xfill = True
style.nvl_window.xpadding = 20 #horizontal spacing between the text and the nvl window edge
style.nvl_window.ypadding = 30 #as above, but vertical spacing
style.nvl_window.xmargin = 40 #horizontal spacing between the nvl window edge and edge of the screen 
style.nvl_window.xmargin = 50 #as above, but vertical spacing
If you want to have a custom nvl mode screen, like that in FSN, then you would add ONLY this to options.rpy:

style.nvl_window.background = Image("pathtoyourimage")
But, then you would probably need to play around with style.nvl_window.xpadding and style.nvl_window.ypadding to get the text displaying right.
Angels of paradise, angels of sacrifice
Please let me be under your wings...

ParsonSyunOwen
Regular

#4 Post by ParsonSyunOwen »

Can I butt in here briefly? How would you push the right end of the NVL mode window in, so as to make room for a menu or displayable along the right side of the screen? If I'm reading these right, the options I'm seing in 00nvl_mode only seem to apply to both ends at once.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Setting xpadding is equivalent to setting left_padding and right_padding to the same value. Similarly, setting ypadding is the same as setting top_padding and bottom padding to the same value. You can always set, right_padding to the value you want, independently. (Margin works in the same way.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Blue Bunny

#6 Post by Blue Bunny »

I paste the codes to my options.rpy , but , now , I've this on my game:
how can I change the margin top?

And thanks for the text tag , it worked ^^

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter