NVL Fade and Variable Text Box Height?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

NVL Fade and Variable Text Box Height?

#1 Post by Kinjo »

So, I have two questions that I cannot seem to figure out on my own. Also, I have read lots of documentation, so I'm coming here as a last resort.

1. I am switching between NVL mode and ADV mode. Although the ADV textbox faded in, NVL textbox initially was instantaneous, so I adjusted the following lines as follows:

Code: Select all

## Used when showing NVL-mode text directly after ADV-mode text.
    config.adv_nvl_transition = dissolve

## Used when showing ADV-mode text directly after NVL-mode text.
    config.nvl_adv_transition = dissolve
However, despite the NVL textbox now fading out, it's now the ADV textbox which instantaneously appears. Is there a way to make both NVL and ADV nicely dissolve together?

2. The textbox that I am using for ADV is the size of the entire screen. In order to get the text to appear at the bottom, I have to change the padding like so:

Code: Select all

style.window.left_padding = 192
    style.window.right_padding = 30
    style.window.top_padding = 700
    style.window.bottom_padding = 67
However, this noticeably causes the textbox to be pushed upward when there is more than one line of text on the textbox. I am not sure what property I'm supposed to change in order for the textbox's size to remain constant. Initially I was using a Frame to restrict the image to the bounds of the window, but the image simply becomes squished and it looks sloppy. How can I achieve having a textbox which does not change in response to the amount of text it contains? This seems like a fairly simple feature to have.

Thanks in advance.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: NVL Fade and Variable Text Box Height?

#2 Post by philat »

1. This might be a developer mode thing. The transparent background sometimes mucks this up. Try it with config.developer set to False and see if that fixes the issue.

2. Get rid of the bottom_padding, I would think. Why is the ADV mode textbox the size of the entire screen anyway?

Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

#3 Post by Kinjo »

1. Nope, that did nothing.

2. The bottom padding's number is arbitrary. Whenever the text exceeds one line, the textbox moves upward regardless of its original location. Also, the textbox is the size of the entire screen because its width is the size of the window width and it is essentially a transparent vertical gradient; picking the textbox's width and height to be equal to that of the screen makes just as much sense as (if not more than) any arbitrary set of points. The problem likely has nothing to do with the padding but I'm just not sure where or how I can disable the relocation of the textbox.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by philat »

1. I got nothing.

2. I don't know how you're positioning your textbox, but the issue basically sounds like an additional line is increasing the height of the textbox and this is somehow messing with the align. You can constrain the size of the window using size, but you already said you don't want, for whatever reason, to constrain the size of the box. I really can't help you beyond that.

Additionally, it's much easier to have a fixed sized box that is the size you need and position it accordingly than have a window that is the size of the screen and position the text. That's why I asked.