Is changing the file extension the same thing as converting?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Lightworker
Regular
Projects: Detroit.exe
Discord: Happiness+#1168

Is changing the file extension the same thing as converting?

#1 Post by Lightworker »

I converted a ton of WAV to OGGs, but I am just curious, if changing the file type is the same thing as converting... then why do people use converters anyway if they could just right click on a file and rename the filetype? :?

Keinart
Regular
Completed: One Thousand Lies
Projects: Lotus Reverie
Organization: Keinart Lobre
Tumblr: keinart
itch: keinart

Re: Is changing the file extension the same thing as convert

#2 Post by Keinart »

It's not the same, you are just changing the name, but it will still be a wav, ogg or mp3 or whatever at the end.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#3 Post by Zetsubou »

It is not the same thing.

For text formatted files, like source code files, "converting" can indeed be as simple as changing the extension.
In those cases, it depends on the format of the contents.
For example, a valid .py file may or may not also be a valid .rpy file.

For binary formats like WAV and OGG, you cannot convert between them by simply changing the expression.

If you need a more in-depth explanation of file formats and format-shifting, use a search engine. There's plenty of information on the subject, but this isn't the place to find it.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Lightworker
Regular
Projects: Detroit.exe
Discord: Happiness+#1168

#4 Post by Lightworker »

Thanks!

Shakezula
Regular

#5 Post by Shakezula »

The extension itself just tells your computer what type of file it is, and therefore what program to use to open it.

As text files are mostly the same - just bits of characters and spaces, the file extension is merely a decorator.

audio files are different, and the bits inside vary based on the encoding, compression, and meta tags.

you can convert your files to .ogg online using this website however: http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-ogg