Over-Ambitious GUI Question (Solved)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
camisteja
Regular

Over-Ambitious GUI Question (Solved)

#1 Post by camisteja »

Hi again, it's me. I am back with another newbie question about imagemaps, but this time I wonder if this is even something that can be done.

Is it possible for the mm_ground image to be replaced with another mm_ground image when any of the buttons get hovered? Could a If Statement do the trick and how would I go about writing that?

For example, say the normal Title Screen is pink but when I hover the mouse over one of the buttons, not only do the buttons change color but the title screen has ugly green flowers all over it now. However, when the mouse leaves the button the Title Screen goes back to pink again. Does this example make sense? Hopefully I am not confusing everyone even more.

Anyway, as always, I appreciate any help you guys are inclined to give me.
Last edited by camisteja on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Over-Ambitious GUI Question

#2 Post by namastaii »

Yes that makes sense. Hmm interesting. I'm going to look at a couple of places and come back with an idea.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by namastaii »

I want to say... that on the page where the code is for the buttons on the menu, somehow when they're hovered, to add to that hover code to also change mm_ground, else keep mm_ground to the original file. I'm actually going to test it out on my engine and if I get it to work, I'll paste the code that worked

---edit:

So I need to go to bed. I'll look more into it tomorrow if you haven't already gotten help. I'm not a pro at coding on renpy but I have done quite a bit. I can mess with it more and research more. If anything you might have to make this menu somewhere else than the main menu page. I'm not sure. Good night
-Thought I did figure out a way to change the background once you hover over the buttons. Just haven't finished the part where you don't have anything hovered to have it go back to normal.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#4 Post by Zetsubou »

Sounds like you want a mix of hovered, unhovered, and SetScreenVariable.
Something like:

Code: Select all

screen main_menu():
        default i = 0

if i == 0:
            add "normalBg.png"
        elif i == 1:
            add "uglyGreenFlowers.png"

textbutton 'Start Game':
            action Start()
            hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1)
            unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by namastaii »

I told you someone would be way better at this. Lol Thank you Zetsubou

camisteja
Regular

#6 Post by camisteja »

Thank you both so much!! I really appreciate the help. ;u;

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by namastaii »

This is what worked unless there's a way to make it so you don't have the hover/unhovered on every button in which I couldn't get that to work.

screen main_menu:
    default i = 0

tag menu
    if i == 0:
        add "ui/background.png"
    elif i == 1:
        add "ui/background2.png"
    add "ui/menus/mainmenu/stripe.png"
    add "ui/logo.png"

imagemap:

ground "ui/menus/mainmenu/mm_ground.png"
        idle "ui/menus/mainmenu/mm_ground.png"
        hover "ui/menus/mainmenu/mm_hover.png" 

alpha False
        cache False

hotspot (100,600,180,64) action Start() at buttonfade hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
        hotspot (338,600,146,64) action ShowMenu('load') at buttonfade hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
        hotspot (540, 600, 161, 64) action ShowMenu("preferences") at buttonfade hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
        hotspot (764,600,154,64) action Quit(confirm=False) at buttonfade hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
edit: ignore my extra stuff. It goes to the theme I was messing with to test this code.

camisteja
Regular

#8 Post by camisteja »

[quote="namastaii"][/quote]

Thanks so much! I managed to get your code to work with my game, although it still doesn't seem to do exactly what I want yet. I am sure with some tweaking it will.

Thanks again to you both of you for your assistance.

EDIT:

Well, I fought with it all day but it still refuses to swap the ground images. Instead, it just does the normal hover. Am I doing something wrong?

##############################################################################
# Main Menu
#
# Screen that's used to display the main menu, when Ren'Py first starts
# http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_special.html#main-menu

screen main_menu:
    default i = 0

tag menu
    if i == 0:
        add "blah_ground.png"
    elif i == 1:
        add "blah_bghover.png"

imagemap:

ground "blah_ground.png"
        idle "blah_idle.png"
        hover "blah_hover.png" 

hotspot (0, 40, 378, 176) action Start() hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
        hotspot (0, 136, 378, 176) action ShowMenu('load') hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
        hotspot (0, 235, 378, 176) action ShowMenu("preferences") hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
        hotspot (0, 325, 378, 176) action Quit(confirm=False) hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by philat »

Probably it's the imagemap is shown on top of the background, so you can't see any change.

camisteja
Regular

#10 Post by camisteja »

philat wrote:Probably it's the imagemap is shown on top of the background, so you can't see any change.
Even if I use two different backgrounds? I tried putting the idle+hover buttons on their own transparent image and made the two backgrounds totally separate. Shouldn't the If Statement still work in that case?

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by namastaii »

Wait so what exactly is the problem?

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by namastaii »

From my understanding the ground is supposed to be the menu text, right? Are you trying to swap the menu text or the backgrounds? To change the backgrounds, that code should work. I just checked again

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by philat »

camisteja wrote:
philat wrote:Probably it's the imagemap is shown on top of the background, so you can't see any change.
Even if I use two different backgrounds? I tried putting the idle+hover buttons on their own transparent image and made the two backgrounds totally separate. Shouldn't the If Statement still work in that case?
I don't know, since I don't know what your images look like, but unless you edited the code before posting, you're using blah_ground.png in both the background and imagemap, so I assumed both were fullscreen backgrounds.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by namastaii »

under imagemap put alpha False

# Main Menu
#
# Screen that's used to display the main menu, when Ren'Py first starts
# http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_special.html#main-menu

screen main_menu:
    default i = 0

tag menu
    if i == 0:
        add "blah_ground.png"
    elif i == 1:
        add "blah_bghover.png"

imagemap:

ground "blah_ground.png"
        idle "blah_idle.png"
        hover "blah_hover.png" 

alpha False
        cache False

hotspot (0, 40, 378, 176) action Start() hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
        hotspot (0, 136, 378, 176) action ShowMenu('load') hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
        hotspot (0, 235, 378, 176) action ShowMenu("preferences") hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)
        hotspot (0, 325, 378, 176) action Quit(confirm=False) hovered SetScreenVariable("i", 1) unhovered SetScreenVariable("i", 0)

making alpha false I believe makes it so the buttons are only active when the actual text is being hovered. I can see if that this could have been a problem if your menu text image is as big as the entire screen.

camisteja
Regular

Re: Over-Ambitious GUI Question (Solved)

#15 Post by camisteja »

namastaii wrote: making alpha false I believe makes it so the buttons are only active when the actual text is being hovered. I can see if that this could have been a problem if your menu text image is as big as the entire screen.
I got rid of the alpha/cache section because it didn't work originally, so I thought that maybe it wasn't needed. I added it back in, but no dice. :/

Thank you again everyone for your inputs. I'm starting to believe it just isn't possible. Lol
Last edited by camisteja on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.