Structure/Coding suggestions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
UselessCoder
Regular
Projects: undisclosed...

Structure/Coding suggestions

#1 Post by UselessCoder »

Hi Guys!
This is my very first topic (and 2nd post, including the one I've posted in the new members section...And we're done with the stats lol) and I'm here asking for some suggestions/documentation that might giving me a better insight on the matter(s).

The game I'm working on will be basically a sim-dating game that unlocks options through checks on the player stats.

Description of the game with its features:

3 increasing/decreasing stats:

-Stats will be increasing through performing specific activities;
-Stats will be decreasing if the player doesn't perform them for an X amount of days (I wanted this in the game to give players an extra challenge in keeping their "privileges" active while struggling with the in-game agenda :twisted: );

Calendar/Time:

-No fancy clocks/minutes/seconds, just Day/Night Cycle;
-By performing whichever activity, the game will skip to the other half of the day (ex: you choose "work" in daytime, you'll be done at the beginning of nighttime. If you start an activity during nightime, the game will not automatically skip to the next day but it will only give you the option to go home and sleep (through a screen saying like "you're too tired to do x", etc.);
-In order to provide a more "real-life alike" challenge, there will be rent to pay for your apt. (I hate those games with no deadlines/expenses where all you have to do is piling up money whenever you're skilled/strong enough to make them. So yeah, there has to be rent :mrgreen: and maybe fixed food expenses too, but I'm gonna figure it out after testing the in-game balance: I want it to be "challenging", not "frustrating" :D);
-The rent will always be due on every month's last day (so 30,31 or 28 if the month it's february). Important: this rent thing might lead to one of the game (bad) endings. If you fail to pay on the day the rent is due, you'll be given 1/2 weeks (still have to figure out it too, same game balance reasons as previously mentioned) by the landlord to comply. If you fail to collect all of the money, you'll get kicked out and the game is over;

Activities:
-By performing activities you'll be increasing your stats;
-All of the activities are unlocked from the very beginning, the only limit is money (you can't afford them) or stats themselves (you haven't an high enough x stat to perform it);
-Chats/talk options are also displayed from the very beginning, though some of them will not unlock their specific interaction until your x stat (or a combination of them) is/are high enough;

UI:
-My first demo is based on imagemaps. You basically navigate through five different imagemaps (locations), each one of them having different hotspots unlocking menus with activities to perform.
-Money should always be displayed and, it goes without saying, this is a dynamically increasing/decreasing stat. I couldn't find a way to always display money on screen tho, so I'm still figuring out whether or not switching to imagebuttons instead;
-I would also like to have a "Stats button" always displayed, showing the player stats level;
-According to what the day cycle is, locations will display a different image (ex:city_day.png, city_night.png);

IFs/conditions:
-these basically apply to locations/characters. I need the game to display some text/interaction just ONCE "if" it's the first time the player goes/meets somewhere/someone.
Those conditions will also apply to unlock different screens in order to make the game less boring, so for instance there will be three different "kiss" images for the "kiss" activity, but they will be unlocked in sequence ("if" you kissed x once, display kiss_2.png, "if you kissed x twice, display kiss_3.png, etc).
"ifs" will also affect your character's appearance but I don't want to spoil that too much for now (mainly because I still don't have a clue about "how" in terms of coding, but it sounded a cool way to say it :lol: );

Well, that should be it for now. :)

Like I said, any suggestions on what to read or examples to dig in, would be greatly appreciated.
Tbh, Renpy documentation only offered a very brief explanation of "what does what" but hasn't really gave me the necessary (deep) insight I've been looking for.

Hope you guys would be able to point me in the right direction (hopefully not the logout button in the top left corner, tho :roll: :lol: ).

Thanks! :D

UselessCoder
Regular
Projects: undisclosed...

Re: Structure/Coding suggestions

#3 Post by UselessCoder »