How to locate game files?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Firefly
Regular
Projects: Remember these days, My sunflowers keeper
Organization: Firefly Games
Deviantart: Caystar

How to locate game files?

#1 Post by Firefly »

I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask, but I recently updated the windows on my computer and it wanted, along with my norton, to delete everything made with ren'py and the actual programs. The problem that I'm having is that I excluded the program from being targeted but after the update when I click select projects, my files for the games that I had been working on have dissappeared. Is there a way to locate them or get them back? I've spent so much time on them its really distressing.
~Fireflys are the stars of the Earth~

http://caystar.deviantart.com/

Iylae
Regular

Re: How to locate game files?

#2 Post by Iylae »

Assuming you don't have the original game folder wit your .rpy files:
  1. windows key + f
  2. type in the name of your project/game
  3. wait patiently with crossed fingers
Going forwards, use a backup system. I personally use both an online file synchroniser e.g. Dropbox, and a usb stick to manually back up my files. The earlier is good for making edits from multiple computers as your files will be updated for you automatically, assuming you maintain an internet connection.
  If we are what we repeatedly do, then good coding is not an act, but a habit