Steam Achievements Activate Inconsistently?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

Steam Achievements Activate Inconsistently?

#1 Post by Rosstin »

We have a very difficult-to-test problem with Steam achievements, where certain achievements don't activate, or don't activate on certain computers. We've tested this with several computers, and it has nothing to do with the OS. It's extremely weird. We've gotten every single achievement to activate on both Mac and Windows, but some users (and some of us devs) have found that on some computers none of the achievements trigger.

I want to do some testing and repro of this, but I don't have a lot to go on yet. Does anyone have any insight?

SOME GUESSES: It's either something to do with how Renpy understands whether text has been read before (so maybe it doesn't register the achievement if it sees an event you did before, say in the original game before we had achievements?) or it might be something to do with the Steam API (a black box from my perspective.) Is there a way to force execution of the achievements? Is it the Steam API? I don't know.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

Re: Steam Achievements Activate Inconsistently?

#2 Post by Zetsubou »

Post some examples of your achievements within context.
Are they simple "achievement.grant" statements?
Are they more complex statements using "achievement.register" and "achievement.progress" instead?
Are you ever calling "clear" or "clear_all"?
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Rosstin
Veteran

#3 Post by Rosstin »

We are using achievement.grant only, never clear

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#4 Post by jack_norton »

In several cases is a problem of Steam. Network issues etc. There's a big sale going on right now, so that might be part of the problem.
I had many reports of that for my games, and then the people having issues had them fixed by restarting Steam for example.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Rosstin
Veteran

#5 Post by Rosstin »

jack_norton wrote:In several cases is a problem of Steam. Network issues etc. There's a big sale going on right now, so that might be part of the problem.
I had many reports of that for my games, and then the people having issues had them fixed by restarting Steam for example.
Thanks, this makes me feel better.

So are we doing it correctly then? Using achievement.grant only?

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#6 Post by jack_norton »

Yes that's what I do too. If doesn't work, it's usually some random Steam problem.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games