Dimensions of VN?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mujigae

Dimensions of VN?

#1 Post by mujigae »

I want to make the screen size and resolution as big/high as possible; does anyone have recommended sizes/ recommended dimension ratios (which ratios would I cater to?)

Sorry if this is an elementary question, just my first time making a VN and for some reason, of all the things screen size is stressing me out...

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

Re: Dimensions of VN?

#2 Post by FonaCall »

Why post here in Works in Progress though? I think this is better posted in Ren'Py Questions and Announcements. This forum is for threads for games that are in production.

For a windowed mode? I think the default size would be good already, although I've seen some people using a bigger size. I've downloaded some games that had the window at 1000x700 and 1920x1080. The latter doesn't quite reflect it, so I think there may be an actual cap to how big you can make it. I think sticking to the usual desktop sizes like 1024x768 or 1280x800 is good, since it won't distort stuff.

You might want to keep in mind that making the size bigger would make it harder for the people who will make art assets, since you would need larger images. Also, the file size of your game might go up as well.

Curious, what kind of game would it be that you would need a really big screen for?

- Piet
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas