Keep namebox during trans btn dialogues with pause [Solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Valiowk

Keep namebox during trans btn dialogues with pause [Solved]

#1 Post by Valiowk »

I'm using two_window for my game and have the following ATL code:

Code: Select all

X "Line of dialogue."

show xxx:
    linear 0.5 alpha 0.0
show yyy:
    alpha 0.0 xalign 1.0 yalign 1.0
    pause 0.5
    linear 0.5 alpha 0.5
pause 1

Y "Line of dialogue."
I can get the say_window to remain onscreen during "pause 1" using window auto, but the say_who_window will vanish during that time. Is there a way to get the say_who_window to remain onscreen during this time? It gets dizzy if the say_who_window keeps appearing and disappearing during every such transition.

To clarify, the intended effect is for the say_who_window to remain onscreen only between two lines of dialogue in which a name actually appears in the say_who_window, but it should vanish as normal when switching from named character to unnamed narrator and appear as normal when switching from unnamed narrator to named character.
Last edited by Valiowk on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Keep namebox during transition between dialogues with pa

#2 Post by philat »

Y "{w=1.0}Line of dialogue."

instead of pause 1.0.

Valiowk

#3 Post by Valiowk »

philat wrote:Y "{w=1.0}Line of dialogue."

instead of pause 1.0.
That would make Y's name appear even before X had completely dissolved out, which is rather awkward.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by philat »

What, you want a blank who window showing then? *shrug* Well, it's your game. Define a character with a blank name and use {w} then. Really not much of an effort difference between that and pause.

Valiowk

#5 Post by Valiowk »

philat wrote:What, you want a blank who window showing then? *shrug* Well, it's your game. Define a character with a blank name and use {w} then. Really not much of an effort difference between that and pause.
Ideally I would like both X's name and dialogue to stay on the screen a little while longer during (at least the first half of) the duration of the pause, but I haven't found any code on the forum that would achieve that for now...

Edit: after playing with extend for a different purpose, figured out how to do it - replacing pause 1.0 with extend "{w=0.5}{nw}" would probably look best. D'oh!