possible to have multiple/random preloader image?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
hoonsubin

possible to have multiple/random preloader image?

#1 Post by hoonsubin »

as the title says: is it possible?
and by preloader image i mean both android's "android-presplash.jpg" and pc's "presplash.png" in game folder

Shakezula
Regular

Re: possible to have multiple/random preloader image?

#2 Post by Shakezula »

hoonsubin wrote:as the title says: is it possible?
and by preloader image i mean both android's "android-presplash.jpg" and pc's "presplash.png" in game folder
Please clarify:
Are you asking how to get the game to pick a splash image at random?
Or are you asking if a desktop splash image will conflict with a mobile presplash image?

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by xela »

Shakezula wrote:Please clarify:
Or are you asking if a desktop splash image will conflict with a mobile presplash image?
People been misunderstanding each others question all day :D

He's is (very) clearly asking if it is possible to draw random from a pool of presplash images instead of having just the one file... as far as I know there is no such option in place, not without modifying core code.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Shakezula
Regular

#4 Post by Shakezula »

geez how passive agressive.
Last edited by Shakezula on Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoonsubin

#5 Post by hoonsubin »

xela wrote:
Shakezula wrote:Please clarify:
People been misunderstanding each others question all day :D

He's is (very) clearly asking if it is possible to draw random from a pool of presplash images instead of having just the one file... as far as I know there is no such option in place, not without modifying core code.
Thanks for the replay. I guess trying to touch the system preloading(presplash) image code was just going too deep for renpy.

and thank you too Shakezula for replying

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by xela »

hoonsubin wrote:Thanks for the replay. I guess trying to touch the system preloading(presplash) image code was just going too deep for renpy.g
"Too deep" is an exaggeration... as I've said, it's just resolving the path using standard tools, I guess it's just one of those things that you'll have to edit few lines of the engine before you release your game for. I recall the whole presplash thing taking just the one file (although I haven't read the new code after the last rewrite).
Shakezula wrote:geez how passive agressive.

there's (very) clearly an option in place for the pc splash using renpy.random.randint(A, B).
There is also a (very) good chance (by your own admission) that you haven't been around for long enough to know the difference between presplash and spash images in Ren'Py and yet feel comfortable on giving advice on the issue...

Splash is the image that loads before the main screen but after the Ren'Py engine is loaded. PreSplash is (or at the very least was until very recently) loaded before most of the Ren'Py is loaded and is using just the SDL/pygame to load itself.
Shakezula wrote:

Code: Select all

init python:
    splash_index = renpy.random.randint(1, 100) 
I doubt that init is ran before prespash (this would work with splash).
Shakezula wrote:renpy code doesn't need the last integer to be one more than the maximum, unlike in python.
They are the same module... Ren'Py just uses normal Python's random to participate in Rollbacks. There should be no difference as you suggest between the two.
Shakezula wrote:

Code: Select all

## SPLASH SCREEN
screen splash(**kwargs):
    timer 2.0 action Return()
        add ('splash' + splash_index + '.png')
Screen language is not in play during presplash either, at least it wasn't before the rewrite. (again, this would work for splash)
Shakezula wrote:As for mobile, thats built into the package by rapt, so you'll probably need to look into android's sdk.
This might be a good advice, I never messed with Ren'Py + Droid before but it feels like something that could be more complex than the usual routines.

==>
I don't mean to be impolite or offensive (apologies in advance if it comes out that way) but when trying to correct someone with three and a half years of experience on these forums on you, you could at least look into the topic a little better.
Like what we're doing? Support us at: