Sprites too big

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
nefferinthia
Regular

Sprites too big

#1 Post by nefferinthia »

Hi! The sprites I drew on paper and scanned in are absolutely humongous (2000-3000px) but when I try to resize them to fit into Ren'Py's standard 800x600 resolution the quality is just entirely ruined. IS there anyway around this? I always thought a too big resolution was better than too small but it seems in this case I was wrong.
Attachments
one of the sprites for reference
one of the sprites for reference

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

Re: Sprites too big

#2 Post by runeraccoon »

What's the program you used to resize it? I tried using Paint Tool SAI and Photoshop, and neither seems to have any particular problem?

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Re: Sprites too big

#3 Post by Hijiri »

Scaling down will always take some of the quality away, there's no getting around that. The next best thing is increasing your game's screen size, like 1280x720.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."