Resetting animations within a live composite

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

Re: Resetting animations within a live composite

#76 Post by Arowana »

Hi xela, thanks for the quick response! To clarify, I do want the animation to reset on most interactions, such as when the user clicks to advance the text or when a certain button is clicked. I just don't want interactions with tooltips and hotkeys (mostly the former) to reset the animation prematurely.

Do you know if there's a straightforward way to distinguish between these cases? I could create an additional variable that is modified differently by the tooltips vs. character callbacks/screens, but that seems overly convoluted. :lol:
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#77 Post by xela »

Arowana wrote:Do you know if there's a straightforward way to distinguish between these cases? I could create an additional variable that is modified differently by the tooltips vs. character callbacks/screens, but that seems overly convoluted. :lol:
I don't think you need variables for that at all, you can use the class exactly what it was written for, conditions were added on Onishions request and you don't really need them here (but they will not get in a way either).

Basically, you instantiate the displayable class and add callback to characters that would call .change() method instead of changing a variable. We're doing a similar thing to add a cute emotional overlay over character portraits in the say window and it is working really well.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#78 Post by Arowana »

Thanks xela, that works a lot better for what I'm doing. Coincidentally, I'm using it for cute emotional overlays (sweatdrop, etc.) too!
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)