Splashscreen skipping text

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Zeekee
Regular
Projects: No One But You, The Anomaly
Organization: Annexe Interactive
Soundcloud: zomgaarh

Splashscreen skipping text

#1 Post by Zeekee »

Hey! So, for the splashscreen for my game, I have two video segments that play followed by some text. The text, however, does not work. It used to, but after recompiling the project after adding a minigame, the text no longer appears. Can anyone help me out here?

Here's the splashscreen code I had:

Code: Select all

label splashscreen:

$ renpy.movie_cutscene('ANNEXE_V2.ogv')
    $ renpy.movie_cutscene('Unwonted_Sokash.ogv')

scene black
    play music "music/Lifter.ogg"
    with Pause(1)

show text "{font=dejavusans.ttf}Annexe Interactive{/font}" with fade
    with Pause(3)

show text "{font=dejavusans.ttf}In association with Unwonted Studios{/font}" with fade
    with Pause(3)

show text "{font=dejavusans.ttf}presents{/font}" with fade
    with Pause(3)

hide text with dissolve
    with Pause(1)

return
"When people sometimes misquote me, I don't know if they understand what I'm saying."
-Tommy Wiseau

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Splashscreen skipping text

#2 Post by xela »

I admit not to having use "show text" even once in favor of "show expression Text()" which I've been using for a couple of years, but this really looks ok... I don't remember what layer movie cutscenes are shown on but if they are not covering the text, this is a really weird case :(

And off-hand, I've never used two "with" statements in a row (some things I never even consider trying) so I don't really know what that does so I'll take your word that it was working with the same setup at some point...
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Aoide
Regular

#3 Post by Aoide »

I don't know what exactly "doesn't work" about the text (does the splashscreen seem to skip right into the main menu after the movies play? do you get a black screen for the right amount of time but no text shows up?), but did you try taking the "with" out of the "with Pause(...)" lines?

Another thing you should check is to make sure that your text color is not black. I am pretty sure that Ren'py text defaults to black unless it's a UI item, so it's possible the text is behaving normally but you can't see it because it's black on black.

Zeekee
Regular
Projects: No One But You, The Anomaly
Organization: Annexe Interactive
Soundcloud: zomgaarh

#4 Post by Zeekee »

The splash screen skips right to the main menu after the video clips play. I also tried removing all of the "with" lines. No luck. :/
"When people sometimes misquote me, I don't know if they understand what I'm saying."
-Tommy Wiseau

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by philat »

Isolate what the actual issue is -- we can't do that for you here. Does just the text code in a fresh project not work? Does the text code plus the movie in a fresh project not work? Does the text code plus the movie plus the minigame (whatever it was) not work? Is it a font problem? Are you using up to date renpy?