How to: Particles in ATL? (Or Instantiating Images)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
moogsparfait
Regular
Completed: Danmaku!! (Card Game)
Projects: The Parasol Festival
Organization: Mystery Parfait

How to: Particles in ATL? (Or Instantiating Images)

#1 Post by moogsparfait »

My Google-Fu is failing me, all I can find on this is some posts talking about how ATL changes things and how the examples are out of date.

I'm fine with animating individual copies of an image, but then my question changes:

How would I go about creating instances of a predefined image at runtime?

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: How to: Particles in ATL? (Or Instantiating Images)

#2 Post by xela »

Like what we're doing? Support us at:

moogsparfait
Regular

#3 Post by moogsparfait »

You know I saw that earlier and misread your last line saying that it should be rewritten in this manner now that ATL is out, as your sample was out of date because of ATL.

Reading comprehension is hard :roll:

Anyway thank you, I will try it out soon with my own things.

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by xela »

LoL

*Out of date (if you can get the older designs to work, not for everything anyway), is not exactly the right word. Over-complicated is prolly more appropriate.

Original code calculates everything manually, ATL can do the exact same thing without having to write out the formulas (meaning shorted and simpler code).

If you are using atl statements like align, offset and anchor, be sure to fix the Particle class that is quite possibly a lot closer to what you want. Look at the second thread and more specifically at the differences between last and the before last versions of Switcher code, last one should position atl perfectly while the one before that messed stuff up if anything except pos was used.

I just remembered this as well (also in need of being fixed):

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... ll#p398199

maybe it's a more practical example.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

moogsparfait
Regular

#5 Post by moogsparfait »

Thanks again

My end goal has gravity so that third link will likely help. Specifically I want customers to explode money at certain times in my selling game (not particularly going for realism here)

My naive solution looks like this, but I wanted it to be more organic and had that feeling of "there has to be a better way"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR6jLhSMsIs