SFX&Music Clipping/Glitch on Macs

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Cheratomo
Regular
Completed: Asagao Academy: Normal Boots Club, Solstice, A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: [Game in Progress], A Year Abroad, Entrepreneur Simulator
Organization: Illus Seed
Tumblr: cheratomo

SFX&Music Clipping/Glitch on Macs

#1 Post by Cheratomo »

We've been sending out game out to betatesters, and while doing so we noticed something odd.

We have a "text" sound effect that plays when the characters speak, just a kind of typing noise. When music is already playing, those two sounds working together results in weird clipping and sound glitches, like the music is popping in and out. Almost like ren'py can't run both at the same time.

This is only something that happens on Mac computers (including my own). People running windows have said they can't hear it.

All our audio files are .ogg and running at 44,100Hz. I'm not really sure what else to do.

Is there any way we can fix this? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: It seems this might've been fixed in the most recent update of Ren'Py -- if it was, that would be amazing, because this issue has been happening for two years! I'm sending an updated version out to betatesters and update with whether it has been fixed. c:
Last edited by Cheratomo on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: SFX&Music Clipping/Glitch on Macs

#2 Post by namastaii »

Are you playing the sounds on separate channels? https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/co ... nd_Channel

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#3 Post by YossarianIII »

Cheratomo wrote:We have a "text" sound effect that plays when the characters speak, just a kind of typing noise. When music is already playing, those two sounds working together results in weird clipping and sound glitches, like the music is popping in and out. Almost like ren'py can't run both at the same time.

Just wanted to add that I noticed the exact same problem in my NaNoRenO game. (I work on a Mac.) It's fairly subtle, but there's definitely a clipping sound when a character callback sound and music are playing at the same time on separate channels.

I assumed that I was just asking Ren'Py to do too many things at once, but that's interesting that Windows users don't hear this problem.

Cheratomo wrote:EDIT: It seems this might've been fixed in the most recent update of Ren'Py -- if it was, that would be amazing, because this issue has been happening for two years! I'm sending an updated version out to betatesters and update with whether it has been fixed. c:
I updated to the latest version of Ren'Py and confirm I still hear the clipping in my VN. I'd be curious to find out whether this is a bug, or whether I'm programming something wrong...

Image Image

Cheratomo
Regular

#4 Post by Cheratomo »

I believe the sounds are on separate channels, as one is a music channel, the other is voice, and the last is a callback.

I can confirm it is still happening, and all three of the people who've played using macs can confirm this. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Edit: For reference, here is the callback code.

Code: Select all

init python:
    def callback(event, **kwargs):
        if event == "show":
            renpy.music.play("sfx/text.ogg", channel="text", loop=True)
        elif event == "slow_done" or event == "end":
            renpy.music.stop(channel="text")
Right now I'm switching renpy.music to renpy.sound and seeing if it makes a difference.

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#5 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi, did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same trouble and my sounds are on separate audio tracks too.

It doesn't always pop/ glitch, but when it does it doesn't sound too nice :(

Cheratomo
Regular

#6 Post by Cheratomo »

I haven't, unfortunately. Sorry :/

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran