Automatically Hide + Show NVL Window When Image Changes?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DaBackpack
Tumblr: dabackpack
Github: dabackpack

Automatically Hide + Show NVL Window When Image Changes?

#1 Post by DaBackpack »

Hi all, I'm working on a NVL VN (consider it a late NaNoReNo project ^^;;;;;;) and have a question about dialogue and character images.

For example, in Higurashi and Umineko, whenever a speaking character's image changes, the text window will hide + show for a split-second before displaying new text. This is used to emphasize changes in character emotion, e.g. a character's facial expression changing.

Code: Select all

hideyoshi normal "I am a useless character." 
window hide 
pause(.1) 
window show
hideyoshi sad "At least my family isn't going to all die in an accident anytime soon." 
Is there a configuration setting or a callback function I can write which does this automatically? It seems a little tedious to have those middle lines every time a character's image changes.

Thanks!!

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Automatically Hide + Show NVL Window When Image Changes?

#2 Post by namastaii »

You can probably just define the transition as a whole (by combining all three steps hide, pause, and show again) and then type just one line when the character changes. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get away with creating something where the game will automatically know when to do the transition without your say.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/transitions.html

Something like this example:

Code: Select all

define logodissolve = MultipleTransition([
    False, Dissolve(0.5)
    "logo.jpg", Pause(1.0),
    "logo.jpg", dissolve,
    True])

but directed at window instead. (which I think you can do but I haven't tried it)
and obviously not really about dissolving, but hiding and showing
I hope this helps. Sorry if it doesn't.