Game failing to run in accented folder (e.g. è)[SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Daarkess
Regular
Completed: University Projects (Political Vikings; Hexa Wars; ImaginAlien; Cubo)
Projects: Stained with Magic; Magnicity
Organization: Hikage Studios

Game failing to run in accented folder (e.g. è)[SOLVED]

#1 Post by Daarkess »

Hello,

I'm not sure if this issue has been posted before. But here we are.

When I extract a built out ren'py game from a zip or rar file to a folder that contains an accented character (e.g. "è") in the folder name. The game fails to run.
I receive a message that Dumb.py could not open.

Is there a solution to make the game run in folder locations with accented characters?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide answers.
Last edited by Daarkess on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stained with Magic - Chasing Shadows - - A magic/sci-fi fusion epic split across multiple chapters.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Game failing to run in accented folder (e.g. è)

#2 Post by PyTom »

You need to make sure that the language settings of your computer includes the language that the folder is in. You might be having problems if, for example, your computer is set to Japanese, and you run a game that's in, say, French.

The best bet is to stick to ASCII for filenames everywhere. I know what the underlying problem is, but the fix is going to be really hard (porting to Python 3), so we have to live with it for now.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Daarkess
Regular
Completed: University Projects (Political Vikings; Hexa Wars; ImaginAlien; Cubo)
Projects: Stained with Magic; Magnicity
Organization: Hikage Studios

Re: Game failing to run in accented folder (e.g. è)

#3 Post by Daarkess »

PyTom wrote:You need to make sure that the language settings of your computer includes the language that the folder is in. You might be having problems if, for example, your computer is set to Japanese, and you run a game that's in, say, French.

The best bet is to stick to ASCII for filenames everywhere. I know what the underlying problem is, but the fix is going to be really hard (porting to Python 3), so we have to live with it for now.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.
Sticking to ASCII does appear to be the best option right now. Less trouble.
Thanks again.
Stained with Magic - Chasing Shadows - - A magic/sci-fi fusion epic split across multiple chapters.