How to setup rollback to keep current displayables

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Quelcezot
Regular

How to setup rollback to keep current displayables

#1 Post by Quelcezot »

Rollback is a great feature, but to me I feel like the way it normally is detracts from the kind of experience I want to create.

My end goal is for rollback to only affect text, keeping the current displayables on screen. Ideally, I would also like to show an extra displayable during rollback (to signify that a rollback is in progress), but that isn't the main issue. Other than that, rollback behavior would be the same as normal, allowing readers to even undo their previous choices to the extent it already does.

But I've been struggling, I really appreciate the user friendly elements of a true "rollback" where the reader can remind themselves of what's happened and even correct a misclick or a choice they very quickly regret. But I also want the reader to feel like they exist in the latest moment that they've read up to and are reflecting on the past, rather than feeling like they're literally travelling through time.

If there's a simple solution, or even an oddly convoluted one for something so simple, then I would be very grateful if you could help me.

Thanks for reading.
LOVE & PEACE

If two people talk long enough they can explain how they feel, maybe.

Quelcezot
Regular

Re: How to setup rollback to keep current displayables

#2 Post by Quelcezot »

I'm afraid I've made no headway whatsoever with this.

It seems quite a few people have taken a look so far, so I'm beginning to think there may not be an easy way to do this. Which makes sense, in the sense that it would explain why I haven't been able to find anything.

If someone does take another glance at this though, even if you don't know where to begin with a solution - I would like some confirmation that this is something I'm unlikely to be able to solve.

For immersion, this was really something that's been bothering me for a while. But I can get over it if there's no other way.

Thank you.
LOVE & PEACE

If two people talk long enough they can explain how they feel, maybe.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: How to setup rollback to keep current displayables

#3 Post by nyaatrap »

Developing version of ren'py already has both rollback and readback (history) feature. An user can choose her preferred way. You might also combine them to customize a default function (that's I don't know before docs are written).