Separating displayed text from code in Ren'py script files

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Vogue
Regular
Completed: SC2VN
Projects: Don't Forget Our eSports Dream

Separating displayed text from code in Ren'py script files

#1 Post by Vogue »

Hey all. I'm trying to figure out how I can quickly/grammatically get my game's script in a document without needing to comb my way through the entire script file.

To illustrate this: in the example below, I want to keep the text inside of quotes and get rid of the rest.

Code: Select all

hide logosctitle
    hide logovntitle
    hide logo2title
    if not persistent.day9:
        "SC2VN is a visual novel about StarCraft in South Korea and the people who play it."

"If you are new to eSports or StarCraft, you can watch a short, voice-acted scene that will introduce you to professional StarCraft."

"Or, you can watch the scene later in the extras menu and get right into the action."
        window hide dissolve
        $persistent.day9 = True
        menu:
            "I want to learn more about StarCraft.":
                jump day9scene
            "I'll watch it later.":
                Pass
Is there a simple way that this is typically done?

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

Re: Separating displayed text from code in Ren'py script fil

#2 Post by Zetsubou »

The Renpy launcher has an "extract dialogue" option.
You could use that to create a tab separated file, open it in a spreadsheet application, then copy the lines you want into a text document.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Vogue
Regular
Completed: SC2VN
Projects: Don't Forget Our eSports Dream

Re: Separating displayed text from code in Ren'py script fil

#3 Post by Vogue »

Zetsubou wrote:The Renpy launcher has an "extract dialogue" option.
You could use that to create a tab separated file, open it in a spreadsheet application, then copy the lines you want into a text document.
Sick, I didn't even realize. That makes this extremely simple. Thanks!