Uncrypt RPA?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

Re: Uncrypt RPA?

#16 Post by F.I.A »

JinzouTamashii wrote:
F.I.A wrote:If there isn't any rpy file lying in the game, give the maker a piece of mind, seriously.
I don't understand what this means.
Somebody intentionally wants their works to be confidential. Shouldn't we try to be considerate and respect their decision?
You can make a patch for a released game? That's news to me.
What one needs to know about renpy:
- A renpy game only needs rpyc files to run, which are created by rpy files upon running on the first time.
- Likewise, any changes to the rpy files will overwrite the previous rpyc files.
- Therefore, one can patch a game by giving out a new rpyc files.
- However, if there are rpy files in the rpa, it will render any update useless, since they will keep replacing the rpyc files with the default one.
- Having rpyc files in the rpa is also a bad idea, since including rpyc files in the same game directory will tend to crash the game with duplicate file names.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#17 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Oh, I got it, thanks.

For the .rpy files, I thought you meant people who don't delete them. Sometimes, I want people to look at the code and learn, that will be one less future question I have to answer in the Ren'Py forums.

Even the idea that you can "own" code strikes me as dumb. It's like owning a pose or a font. It shouldn't be legal and if it is, it should be prevented.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#18 Post by F.I.A »

JinzouTamashii wrote:Sometimes, I want people to look at the code and learn, that will be one less future question I have to answer in the Ren'Py forums.
I don't think you need to worry about that one more future question, given that we got duplicate threads for the same question anyway.
Even the idea that you can "own" code strikes me as dumb. It's like owning a pose or a font. It shouldn't be legal and if it is, it should be prevented.
Uh, just what sort of thought is that?

The analogue of pose is a bad one. Coding a script is more like composing a track. Are you trying to say that one cannot own a track he/she composed?

And there are commercial fonts out there.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#19 Post by PyTom »

Frankly, I'm kinda surprised it took this long for people to release a tool like this. Well, other people have written their own unpacker tools, so it was only a matter of time until someone released it publicly. I'm not sure it's a great thing to do, but what's done is done, and I'm not going to bother changing the RPA format for anything but technical reasons.

Specifically: I'm not going to change the RPA format just to break unpacker tools. I will change it if I think doing so makes Ren'Py better, regardless of the effects this might have on unpackers.

While I'm sure Ren'Py being open source made writing this tool easier, there are certainly crackers for closed-source visual novel engines. I'm not going to bother with a cat-and-mouse DRM game that I probably couldn't win.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#20 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Yeah, but you actually can't copyright a font and many before the days of computers are all the public domain. They have to make .ttf files and claim it was the code for the antialiasing and sizing they were copyrighting that in order to do it. http://renpy.org/wiki/renpy/misc/Bitmap ... _Copyright

As for code, I'm just an open-source kind of person. I think that closed source code is holding back innovation and stifling new softwares. I think that while the resources of a program can be commercial, the coding should not be. But you are free to disagree and you are more than free to hold your own opinion, but you probably won't be changing mine.

As for poses, that's because of my art background in traditional, digital, a couple photography classes and 3d courses. If someone told me I could not use an idea from artwork for a photo or a reference for character design for artwork because it was copyrighted, well that's just idiotic. Artwork doesn't exist in a vacuum. Actually, no work does—not even typography. That's what I'm saying.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

WinKi

#21 Post by WinKi »

PyTom wrote:Frankly, I'm kinda surprised it took this long for people to release a tool like this.
Err... actually, this hacking work is only lasted for 2 days. ^^'
PyTom wrote:Well, other people have written their own unpacker tools, so it was only a matter of time until someone released it publicly. I'm not sure it's a great thing to do, but what's done is done, and I'm not going to bother changing the RPA format for anything but technical reasons.
You see, generally it's a bad idea not to include unpacker for the own archives/image/script data (KiriKiri2/KAG3's creator did the same mistake), since the source may be lost, and then nothing but reverse engineering will help to renew or translate the title.
PyTom wrote:Specifically: I'm not going to change the RPA format just to break unpacker tools. I will change it if I think doing so makes Ren'Py better, regardless of the effects this might have on unpackers.
To tell the truth, stripping the first 16 bytes of the file is a bad idea, which generally produces loading glitches on a single-core systems, as the data itself requires some manipulations. Since Python is just an interpreter, it costs some CPU time...
PyTom wrote:While I'm sure Ren'Py being open source made writing this tool easier...
Hell no! ^_^ We didn't had a Python nor Ren'Py sources and experimented with Python pickle itself, then looked at the generated data in HEX and compared with the filetable dumps.
PyTom wrote:...there are certainly crackers for closed-source visual novel engines. I'm not going to bother with a cat-and-mouse DRM game that I probably couldn't win.
We are hackers, NOT crackers. Please don't mess those two, they are NOT the same. If you'll apply DRM or any other "protection", we won't even bother messing with it. This whole thing was done only because we needed the tools for own project. :) So other people can use our tool in the future for their own projects.

The life is short, especially in VN community, and if you'll DRM or "protect" your work, it's just a waste of time and a path to the oblivion.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#22 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Sure, a lot of doujin developers only print enough that they think they can sell at a convention (or burn and make custom CD covers for). Why? Because they know after the initial release and boom of first sale, it's all downhill from there.

The issue is not to stop sharing. The issue is trying to protect nonunique content (100 identical copies) from redistribution...