Take screenshot and reuse it later

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
korova
Veteran
Completed: Ivy, Chocolate, Time, Clair Obscur
Projects: Writing exercises, The House [Nano18]
Tumblr: korova08
itch: korova

Take screenshot and reuse it later

#1 Post by korova »

Hello people !

I'd like to know if it's possible to take a screenshot of the game, save it somewhere, in the images folder for example, and reuse it later, for example in a screen.

I tried to use the renpy.screenshot() function, but I didn't succeed, it seems that no screenshot is saved anywhere.
Does someone know what this function is supposed to do exactly and how it works ?

I found that thread, which seems to implement somehow what I'm looking for, but it seems old, and I wonder if a better solution hasn't been found or implemented since.

Thoughts ?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Take screenshot and reuse it later

#2 Post by PyTom »

Ren'Py doesn't really have functionality to do this. The problem is that rendering to the screen can vary based on how the player resizes the window (as well as details of the computer), and isn't really meant for being reused like this.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom