3 Text questions(Name height,box size,style to chara) SOLVED

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

3 Text questions(Name height,box size,style to chara) SOLVED

#1 Post by MoonByte »

I assume, this is super simple and I just don't get it (or can't find the regarding section in Options or Screens).
So I have three questions regarding customisation:

1)
I have my own textbox with an assigned spot for the names. I have fixed the height of the names with this:

Code: Select all

define ch = Character('Lord Chamberlain', font = "18cents.ttf", size = 20, color="#000000", who_ypos=-34)
BUT it messes up with the text in total, moving the text downwards instead of to the top left of it where usually the character name would be:
Unbenannt.png
How do I make it that the text stays where it is supposed to be with only the character name moving up?

2)
Related to that:
Whenever I have three lines of text, the texbox automatically gets a bit bigger. Which messes up my Quick Menu height.
Is there a way to tell Ren'Py that it should NEVER resize the text box unless I tell it to?

3)
Two characters have a different font with color. Now I could of course always do that manually before each of their lines, but I assume, that I can add that much into their define-statement.
I have played around with it, but I can so far only change the name of them, not the actual text of their box. I assume, it is a simple prefix that I am unaware of and would be grateful for a pointer regarding that.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by MoonByte on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PetPeeve
Regular
Tumblr: agamemakingblogforcoolkids

Re: 3 Text questions (Name height, box size, style to chara)

#2 Post by PetPeeve »

Are you only using this text box for a certain character, because it would be easier to just change the default.

But, if that is the case,

1) Use what_ypos to change the text position.

2) You can use ymaximum to set the maximum height

3) Use what_color

In general, 'who' refers to the speaker name, and 'what' refers to the actual text. Have a look at 3. here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9233
ImageImageImageImage

MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

Re: 3 Text questions (Name height, box size, style to chara)

#3 Post by MoonByte »

Thanks!
I had actually looked into that thread, though only looked at the menu and the choices, totally missing the part that actually had my answers.