Ren'Py 6.99.11 Pre-Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AXYPB
Regular
Github: AXYPB

Re: Ren'Py 6.99.11 Pre-Released

#76 Post by AXYPB »

config.afm_voice_delay works as intended, and even negative values will work to eliminate existing trailing silences. Thank you very much for your attention on this matter.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#77 Post by PyTom »

Are you sure? Negative values aren't intended to work.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

AXYPB
Regular
Github: AXYPB

#78 Post by AXYPB »

I tested it with a large negative value, -0.5, and voice files end prematurely as expected.

Devilzk

#79 Post by Devilzk »

Hey Tom,

Using side images and using the transform "same_transform" (the other transform doesn't seem to interfere) via the doc https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/side_image.html works fine - however when left clicking the mouse to bring up the preferences it causes the transform to occur when returning to the game again, repeating it about two times causes the side image to disappear.

Is this on my end only?

Clef
Regular

#80 Post by Clef »

Hi, I have a comment about the new GUI default interface.

First: I really like it. Modern, efficient and easy to modify.

But I think that the hover state of the buttons in the defult GUIs needs an improvement.
Right now only the text changes its color. This is in theory a very good solution for a default style.
The problem is most of the dark pre-made GUIs have enough contrast to make this solution viable, but some of the dark and all the light/cream pre-made GUIs do not. I don't think that changing only the text color is enough as hover feedback.

An additional hover effect may be useful, maybe some color around the text. I know I can add that myself (I will) but if I am not the only one to think this may be a worth improvement for the default style (use out of the box).

Note: I am a bit color blind.

vollschauer
Veteran
Github: vollschauer

#81 Post by vollschauer »

Well it's not related to the 6.99.11 (because I get this also in the 6.99.10) but I bumped into this error here:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00voice.rpy", line 252, in get_sensitive
    return voice_can_replay()
  File "renpy/common/00voice.rpy", line 132, in voice_can_replay
    return _last_voice_play is not None
NameError: global name '_last_voice_play' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 277, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/main.py", line 478, in main
    run(restart)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/main.py", line 144, in run
    renpy.execution.run_context(True)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/execution.py", line 734, in run_context
    context.run()
  File "/home/kingron/script.rpyc", line 13, in script
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/ast.py", line 603, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/exports.py", line 1135, in say
    who(what, interact=interact)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/character.py", line 873, in __call__
    self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/character.py", line 719, in do_display
    **display_args)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/character.py", line 510, in display_say
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/ui.py", line 278, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 2497, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 2765, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 464, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 464, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/display/screen.py", line 398, in visit_all
    self.child.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 466, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 2765, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 772, in per_interact
    if self.is_sensitive():
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 762, in is_sensitive
    return is_sensitive(self.action)
  File "/home/kingron/RenPy/renpy-6.99.11-sdk/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 371, in is_sensitive
    return action.get_sensitive()
  File "renpy/common/00voice.rpy", line 252, in get_sensitive
    return voice_can_replay()
  File "renpy/common/00voice.rpy", line 132, in voice_can_replay
    return _last_voice_play is not None
NameError: global name '_last_voice_play' is not defined

Linux-4.4.6-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7-3770K_CPU_@_3.50GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
Ren'Py 6.99.11.1736
oldGUI 0.0
In a new empty project:

- config.has_voice = True
- append "textbutton _("VoiceReplay") action VoiceReplay()" to the end of the screen: quick_menu()
- go into preferences and enable "Voice Sustain"

Hit "Start Game" ....play through and hit "Start Game" again...--> Error!

I know it's very unlikely to have this situation, but you never know ^^

papiersam
Veteran
Completed: Gem Hunt Beta, 1/Probably, Animunch
Projects: The Panda Who Dreamed

#82 Post by papiersam »

It's been in a few versions now, but every time I check for an update when I have the most recent update installed, Renpy tells me there's a new version out, and shows me my current update. Proceeding to update acts as expected and installs the reported version (which, in fact, is reinstalling my current version).

I think it started in maybe build 6.99.9--but I can't be certain--and continues through to 6.99.11.
This behavior still persists in .1736 (when prerelease channel is selected, and when the release channel is selected). Note that I changed machines and fully, newly installed Renpy, so I don't think it's an error of my configuration as I originally believed.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#83 Post by PyTom »

r_sami, I can't repeat it here. I've updated versions on multiple occasions. What OS are you on?

papiersam
Veteran

#84 Post by papiersam »

Windows 8.1 (on both machines, and all instances that I faced this issue).

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#85 Post by PyTom »

Can you try again (It should prompt you for 6.99.11.1744) and when it's done, send me updater/log.txt?

papiersam
Veteran

#86 Post by papiersam »

Attached is the update log immediately after update (note, in .1744, the error still persists).
Attachments
log.txt
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#87 Post by PyTom »

r_sami, that looks like it worked to me. It's very confusing why this would not work. My best theory is that something is caching the files on the Ren'Py update site for you, and that's causing these problems. (Perhaps something to do with an upstream ISP.)

Everyone, 6.99.11.1744 is out as a prerelease. This:

* Fixes a problem where default variables that are declared context_dynamic would not be set after loading a save. (This could cause a problem loading old saves.)
* Fixes Devilzk's problem with side images.
* Fixes the crash with _last_voice_play.
* Updates the Indonesian and Greek translations.
* Disables rollback side by default, as it proved confusing to creators. (And would likely prove confusing to creators.)
* Makes show expression respect tag_layers.
* Adds better support for the interactive director.

I see Clef's issue, and I realize that some of the light styles are hard to read. I want to work on this - but it's artsy, and I have trouble doing that. So I might wait until after the release to re-address these colors. (Hopefully, the combinations color-blind people have trouble with are ones unlikely to be selected.)

Devilzk

#88 Post by Devilzk »

In regards to r_sami's issue, is Ren'Py supposed to tell you that you already have the latest version? After updating to 1744 myself, checking update again tells me 1744 is now available and asks me if I'd like to install it. It did this with other prerelease updates as well. I'm on win10 rather than 8.1.

Otherwise though, the side image problem is fixed. Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it.

Karl_C
Veteran

#89 Post by Karl_C »

Devilzk wrote:In regards to r_sami's issue, is Ren'Py supposed to tell you that you already have the latest version? After updating to 1744 myself, checking update again tells me 1744 is now available and asks me if I'd like to install it. It did this with other prerelease updates as well. I'm on win10 rather than 8.1.
Same situation on Linux. No matter if you're using the latest version already, it will ask you to update.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#90 Post by PyTom »

I've made another prerelease of 6.99.11 - hopefully, for one last time.

6.99.11.1749)

* Include the current.json file in DLC update files. This fixes the problem described above, which was causing Ren'Py to fail to realize it was up to date.
* The light theme of the new GUI has been changed to try to increase the value difference between various button states. Hopefully, this will help accessibility for color-blind people.
* An issue has been resolved where an 8-bit config.window_icon file might not display correctly.