Character Select Menu, Branching Paths, and Multiple Endings

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ethereal Grace

Character Select Menu, Branching Paths, and Multiple Endings

#1 Post by Ethereal Grace »

I am very new to using Ren'Py and I have no experience at all with script language. That said, I have figured out the basics. Enough that I can make a straightforward visual novel. I've figured out how to let the player input their own name and I really would like to make a Shall We Date type otome with a prologue and then a character selection screen where the player would choose a love interest.
I'm adapting a WWFFY quiz series of mine into an otome. I have 6 love interests in mind and I'd like each love interest to have two possible endings.
How would that work and what would the script look like for the character menu and the various routes branching out from there? This may be a dumb question and I may not be phrasing it very well! I apologize if that's the case.
I've spent all day searching for answers but either haven't found anything specific about multiple endings or what I did find went over my head.
Thanks!

Locher

Re: Character Select Menu, Branching Paths, and Multiple End

#2 Post by Locher »

>Character Selection Screen
How about an Imagemap where the user is using the mouse to click on the person?
You split the entire screen into 6 proportional segments with a picture of the 6 persons.
On mouse-hover the name will be displayed and the person smiles at you or something, dunno.
Clicking on the person's picture will jump to the corresponding label and you can start the story.

>Routes Branching
Usually via menues and let the user choose between two or more options, jumping to different labels.

>Different endings
May be possible with routes branching where you create a variable like $loveTrump and $loveClinton and you increase/decrease the values based on the actions within the routes.
So for one ending you might need $loveTrump at 5 or more and the for other ending you might need $loveClinton at 5 or more.
Or one ending you need $loveTrump at 5 for true ending and $loveTrump at less than 5 for normal ending. Play with it.

You may start by reading the "Tutorial" or "The Question" introduction VNs that is bundled with ren'py.
If you are still planning routes, these may help visualize your ideas: https://www.gliffy.com/ and http://freeplane.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... /Main_Page

Ethereal Grace

#3 Post by Ethereal Grace »

Thank you very much for your response! I actually just figured out jumps and labels. I did read "Tutorial" and "The Question" but I'm the kind of person that likes to see a large example sheet that I can just stare at and study in-depth. I'm not great at reading instructions and I love pictures and graphs. I did manage to find a few examples online and on here that helped me figure a lot of stuff out!
What is a good program to use for making an imagemap? I currently have Gimp and FireAlpaca.
Sorry for all the questions! I'm a total noob and I'm trying to learn as much as I can! I've not had a computer for very long as I didn't grow up with one like most other people my age did. I've had to pick things up as I go.

andrewngn13
Regular
Projects: Recast

#4 Post by andrewngn13 »

Have you tried looking through the tutorial code? That's where I got most of the knowledge for making things from.

As for making the imagemap, it just takes in image files, so I guess your only concern is the quality of the picture(file types png or jpg)

Here's the documentation for imagemaps. A note about the example there is that "eileen" and "lucy" are user defined displayables that just aren't shown in the example, but are used in imagemap creation. The numbers are the pixel location for your hotspot, that is, the area where it will register a mouse click/hover.
https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/re ... y.imagemap
"Feel feel to idea-bounce off me."
No, like seriously, just send a pm and I'll respond what I think. I'm open to reading anything.

Ethereal Grace

#5 Post by Ethereal Grace »

Thank you! I actually haven't looked through the tutorial code. I'll do that. Thanks for the idea!