Fade Problems?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
colacatinthehat

Fade Problems?

#1 Post by colacatinthehat »

Hey ya'll!

So for some reason when in fullscreen (or enlarged windowed mode) whenever I use a fade transition I get a pixel high bar appear at the very bottom of the screen. It only appears for the duration of the fade and is a little distracting, it sort of spoils the look but I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I think it might be the standard renpy background appearing behind the black background I've defined but I can't say for sure because it's so small.

A similar thing happens if I use things vpunch only it's much more noticeable that the background is showing through my scene. This happens even if the images I'm using are larger than the screen ratio or are created within renpy like the solid background colours.

I'm sure it has a simple answer but I could use some advice from someone far wiser than I! Thanks! >W<

Iylae
Regular

Re: Fade Problems?

#2 Post by Iylae »

I wonder what full-screen resolution you're using when you get the problem, and if you change your desktop resolution and test it would you still get the problem?

If not, sounds like a rounding error on the calculation of the fade animation but PyTom would be the one who could look at this in more depth. Either way I'm sure he'd want to know what resolution you're playing at and an example of the code you're using.
  If we are what we repeatedly do, then good coding is not an act, but a habit

colacatinthehat

Re: Fade Problems?

#3 Post by colacatinthehat »

In options.rpy I have it set to:

config.screen_width = 1920
config.screen_height = 1080

but the background showing through my scene occurs on both the standard fade and dissolve transitions for example

Code: Select all

show dai_awk_v at left
    show cad_stand_frown at right
    with dissolve
    pause 0.8
    hide dai_awk_v    
    show dai_scare at left
    with vpunch
    idk "'Ah! She's awake!'"
I think you're right it's got something to do with the screen resolution, I switched it back to the standard 800 x 600 and I'm not getting the fade error. Strangely when I use the standard resolution for my own computer of 1366 x 768 or change my screen resolution to a horrifying 1280 x 720 it works fine. Maybe it's just my weird sized laptop...

I sent a build to my housemate who's larger monitor is a 1920 x 1080 screen ratio and he does not get the pixels appearing on fades however he does get the background showing through if vpunch is used.

Perhaps I should have set out working with a smaller ratio but I mostly work with animations so HD seemed like a good idea at the time. I hope I'm not going to have to scale all of my sprites down i'd like to keep it at a good quality >A<
Thank you for replying~!