Graphic adventure component.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Scarlet X

Graphic adventure component.

#1 Post by Scarlet X »

Hey pals, my name is Scarlet and this is my first post, im making a visual novel, but i want to add some interactivity to the game, not just the "chooose your path" component, i want to add a little graphic adventure component and i have a couple of doubts:

1.How i can make possible that the player can collect, store and use items spreaded through the game? (keys, coins, etc...)

2.How can i make a drag and drop interface for the game, (example: i have a key in my item list and i wanna drag the key to a door keyhole).

Sorry if the post is not coherent, my wrote english is very basic, thanks for your comments and suggestions.

JeremyBenson
Regular
Projects: Fallen
Organization: Terra Byte Studios

Re: Graphic adventure component.

#2 Post by JeremyBenson »

For the first one you're going to need something to hold inventory. The proper way is to code classes, and store item objects in a list variable. The sloppy way is to use a number of variables for the inventory system. Going the sloppy route you'll need a couple of lists. You'll want one for holding the name of the item, and one for holding the amount of item. You'll want to add to the lists at the exact time. It's still going to take overhead, because you'll have to iterate through your lists to see if the item is already held. If not held append to $items_names and $items_count. If held iterate through your item lists, pop out the index of the where name is found, and add 1 to $itmes_count at the index of found item.

Here is some info on drag and drop from ren'py
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/drag_drop.html

If this isn't making much sense to you, my only advice would be to learn how to program. First you have to learn how to use ren'py in the most basic way. Using menus, showing text. Then you have to learn to code. There is a lot to it. You'll want to start with making variables, and knowing every kind of variable. Then learn how to make a function. Then learn how to make classes. It's a bit of a process, but you can't make advanced games without knowing what you're doing.
Fallen - Current project: Developing logic for RPG mechanics.
"Abel Hayes is feeling a little inhuman."
Fledgling Startup: Terra Byte Studios.
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/terrabytestudio

Scarlet X

Re: Graphic adventure component.

#3 Post by Scarlet X »

Thank you very much Jeremy, i know a little bit of python so i will read more about python programming, thanks.