Displaying game scene in a small frame?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AERenoir
Veteran

Displaying game scene in a small frame?

#1 Post by AERenoir »

I downloaded this GUI template because I like how the display is in a small frame:
UI sampel.jpg
But unfortunately the framed BG is just an image. If I add sprite, it will break the frame. I will have to crop the sprite with Photoshop and stuff to fit the frame.

I saw this thread about layers that seems helpful: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20699
But the problem is I don't actually understand how to work with the layers. Can someone explain how it works to me better?

I've already looked at the Tutorial game, and I'm still confused. Do I have to say "show image onlayer" each time? Because that seems very inconvenient...

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Displaying game scene in a small frame?

#2 Post by namastaii »

I'm not sure if there is a way to automatically assign sprites to a layer...
I don't know if that template you downloaded has that scene as the main layer or not because on mine, it's the main layer and my sprites are automatically cropped into it without using onlayer.

For example, this is my master layer configured to clip:

Code: Select all

config.layer_clipping['master'] = (15, 113, 1678, 948)

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Displaying game scene in a small frame?

#3 Post by gas »

Oh, it's very easy indeed.
Just turn the whole frame as your dialogue window and have it naturally be all hover your bg and sprites!
You just need to be carefull for the dialogue window to participate in transitions and being shown when no dialogues occur, but is very easy to do with a "window show" declaration.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN