Speed

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Speed

#1 Post by PyTom »

I'm somewhat curious as to the impressions people are having about Ren'Py's speed, now that we have a few games released in the wild. Do people have the impression that Ren'Py is fast or slow? How about the fade and dissolve transitions... on your system, do they appear smooth or choppy?

I'm somewhat worried that 800x600 games may have problems with the smoothness of fullscreen transitions.

RedSlash
Veteran

#2 Post by RedSlash »

For me, runs without noticable slow downs. Althon 1.8GHz, ATI 7500 radeon, 512mb ram.

Grey
Veteran

#3 Post by Grey »

Runs beautifully for me running on an Athlon 2500+ system with 1GB of RAM. No slowdown or choppiness.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#4 Post by chronoluminaire »

Runs fine for me. In fact, the smoothness (admittedly on my 2GHz machine) was one reason why I abandoned my half-baked Java attempts and moved to Ren'Py.

Tage
Regular

#5 Post by Tage »

Runs smoothly on mine.

1.1GHz cpu
1GB memory
GeForce DDR 32MB video card

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

* Pentium 1000 Mhz, 256 RAM, 32? MB ATI, notebook - far from smooth, the transitions usually take 2 seconds, still, playable.

* Pentium 1.4 GHz, 512 RAM, GeForce2 64MB - runs great

* Pentium 3Ghz, 512 DDR RAM, Radeon 9800 256MB - of course it runs great!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote:* Pentium 1000 Mhz, 256 RAM, 32? MB ATI, notebook - far from smooth, the transitions usually take 2 seconds, still, playable.
100 or 1000? Also, when you say transitions take 2 seconds, are you talking about transitions like fades and dissolves, or the transitions between screens of text? Finally, just to be sure, can you confirm that you've used 4.6.1 on this, and not 4.5 or 4.6? (Or was it an earlier version like 4.4.2?)

I'm trying to figure out how transitions could take 2 seconds, short of the actual blitting to the screen being massively slow. (Slow enough to watch?) The transitions have an internal timer that stops them after the time has elapsed, regardless of the number of frames they show.

What color depth is the computer in? Does switching it to 32-bit color help the speed any?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#8 Post by mikey »

Heh, that was just to scare you a little. It IS in fact a 1GHz machine, but that notebook is full of resident programs and takes ages to boot up, it may even have some HW problems. For instance, remember that troublesome 600MHz 128MB RAM machine with no sound card? I tried the monkeypatched 4.2 on it to prove my point and it just speeds away, no troubles at all. So I'd definitely say it's the notebook's fault. :P

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#9 Post by Megaman Z »

Runs smooth when displayed on two monitors (half on one, half on another)

using NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 display adapter, if that matters.

Athlon XP 2700+ processor, and 512MB RAM (probably -just- a bit more than that, but that's according to what my PCGAMER demo disc says.)

Just thought I'd let you know that.

(This is with version 4.7)
~Kitsune Zeta