How to interact with the environment

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SticksnTricks
Projects: City 25, or City of Ants

How to interact with the environment

#1 Post by SticksnTricks »

Ya know how in certain games and visual novels like Ace Attorney, you've given yourself a bit of non-linear movement? What can I use for a similar concept in Ren'py? It's basically for the game I'm making where it involves more point-and-click adventuring melded into a visual novel.

Like, there's someplace the player needs to go to and they have to use a map system.

And what there is to find in the environment that the player must find or pick up to progress to the next part of your chosen path (or just the story in general.)

Or how to end the day by going back home and going to sleep?

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How to interact with the environment

#2 Post by gas »

"Or how about coding the entire game for me?"

You're asking a very large number of complex stuff that require recruiting a coder.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

justcolorado
Regular
Completed: Experiment Gone Rogue, Caravan Of Saints, HeartBaked, Hipster Axe
Projects: Iragon
Organization: Repulse.com
Github: coloradostark

#3 Post by justcolorado »

@sticksnTricks
I think this project has what you are looking for:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20541

The code that makes this work is well written and easy to customize.

@gas
Hahaha LOL.... I am loving that retro signature. Have you been coding since the 80's

SticksnTricks
Projects: City 25, or City of Ants

#4 Post by SticksnTricks »

I am a very ambitious man who don't know how to quit. xD Truth be told, I can't code for shit. But Ren'py seems easy for me for simple game coding. Though I could be wrong.

Also thanks for the link~!

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by SusanTheCat »

Here's an Ace Attorney clone I made in 48 hours. the source should be included in the download. Thanks to KimiYoriBaka for the original code.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-2 ... w&uid=5150

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas