How difficult is it to make customiseable protags?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

How difficult is it to make customiseable protags?

#1 Post by AshenhartKrie »

So I have quite an ambitious idea in mind - and my only real issue is that I'm a beginner coder. I want to make my protagonist for my VN customiseable - gender, hair style/colour, skin colour, eyes etc. The art itself isn't a problem, but when it comes to coding it with Ren'Py I have an issue. I only know the complete basics of ren'py and even then I have a few difficulties.
In the opinion of more experienced coders, is this something feasible I could do if I was determined? And are there tutorials out there for this?

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: How difficult is it to make customiseable protags?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

It is certainly done. You have variables for the things that you want to change. Then for images, use a LiveComposite with Condition Switches.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

#3 Post by underbliss »

I don't think it's that difficult to do at all, especially if you're buckled down on the art side of things. In my opinion, at least following the tutorial I did, the most tedious part far and away is creating (and SAVING) all your appearance variations in the file structure.

This is the tutorial I followed for it!

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#4 Post by netravelr »

Code-wise, as the others have mentioned, it is fairly easy to do so. The difficult part is getting/making all of the artwork for it (and any CGs you may have those characters in down the road)
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#5 Post by AshenhartKrie »

netravelr wrote:Code-wise, as the others have mentioned, it is fairly easy to do so. The difficult part is getting/making all of the artwork for it (and any CGs you may have those characters in down the road)
can you believe i actually forgot that i'd need separate CGs depending on what the character looks like
now THAT sounds like a bit of tricky coding
or well
maybe not tricky just a lot of intensive work
i suppose its a matter of using an "if then" command? im psure thats a thing in renpy pls correct me otherwise

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*