Mary the Mac / Universal Mac App

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Mary the Mac / Universal Mac App

#1 Post by PyTom »

Thanks to several people who were kind enough to donate money to the Ren'Py hardware fund, I was able to go out yesterday and purchase Mary, a 1.83 gHz Mac Mini, with 1 gB of ram and an 80 gB hard drive. With the purchase of Mary, I've completed my project of modernizing the Ren'Py development infrastructure. (And also of having my main development platforms named after characters I originally designed.)

Results of this purchase have come quickly. I'm ready to release a universal version of the Ren'Py launcher for testing:
renpy-launcher-6.7.1.zip
(5.29 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
To use this, you'll want to rename it to the name of an existing application, and then replace that application with the new one.

So far, I've tested this on:

- Mac OS X 10.5 (i386) on Mary
- Mac OS X 10.5 (ppc under rosetta) on Mary
- Mac OS X 10.4 (ppc) on Arisa, my old G3.

I'd be interested in hearing success or failure reports from people who have other macs. I've targeted the new launcher at 10.4 and higher, so if it fails to work on a 10.4 or 10.5 system, that's a bug.

This is the first of several steps that will lead to improved mac support, now that I have a first-class system to test on.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Jake
Support Hero

Re: Mary the Mac / Universal Mac App

#2 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote: I'd be interested in hearing success or failure reports from people who have other macs. I've targeted the new launcher at 10.4 and higher, so if it fails to work on a 10.4 or 10.5 system, that's a bug.
It seemed to work more or less fine on my Intel/10.4.11 system (Macbook Pro).

The one thing that I wasn't so sure about was the rollback, but it might just be a problem with the touchpad on laptops... using the two-finger scroll (which I believe has the same effect as a scroll wheel, OS-wise) to roll back, when I stopped scrolling it would frequently slip forward a few interactions, almost as if I had skip mode on or something. This happens even if I scroll right off the top of the pad, and doesn't happen if I touch two fingers down without moving them then release, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

(Speaking of skip mode, I forget - is there another way other than right-click to get at the game menu? It's just that right-click by default on an OSX machine with a one-button mouse is Ctrl-click... if you're in a position to write platform-specific code, it would probably be worth mapping the Windows ctrl-based functionality to be Apple-key based instead, since OSX users will be used to transposing Ctrl-based key combinations to Apple-key-based combinations already: Apple-C is copy, Apple-F is find, etc.)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#3 Post by jack_norton »

Tried on my Leopard macmini, seems to work fine. No problems at all. Was just a bit slow when loading but probably it's Python itself, or my system that has not much ram (only 512mb).
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Mihel
Regular
Projects: Foxtaile, Dream Chasers, Wedding Vows

#4 Post by Mihel »

I'm on a MacBook with 10.5.4, 2g of RAM, and it runs fine so far, except for that scrolling rollback problem. I found this to be extremely pronounced, such that the screen would flash dozens of screens of dialogue back, only to end up right where I started. Other than that, it runs normally for me.
Will you stay here for a while, dear, 'til the radio plays something familiar?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

Does rollback work normally when you hit pageup and pagedown?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

I'll report as soon as I can get it tested on the Intel iMac. Though being fresh to OSX, it's kinda hard for me to determine what is 'natural behavior'. (So far it does feel like some heavily customized linux desktop.)

Mihel
Regular
Projects: Foxtaile, Dream Chasers, Wedding Vows

#7 Post by Mihel »

PyTom wrote:Does rollback work normally when you hit pageup and pagedown?
Yes it does. I'll try hooking a USB mouse up to my laptop this afternoon to see if it's just the touchpad, or whether scrolling rollback itself is the problem.
Will you stay here for a while, dear, 'til the radio plays something familiar?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

Works perfectly, tried on a windows-build game.

Quick question: Which is the Ren'Py download for the Mac? The tar.bz2 or the zip? Because they both extract and run when clicking the icon.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

Either one is fine.