Unskippable Animations

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kominara

Unskippable Animations

#1 Post by Kominara »

I'm new to this, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

My most recent project, (and my only one currently in development), has some action scenes in it. I was attempting to create a blood splatter effect similar to that seen in doujin games such as Higurashi and Umineko.

However, I ran into an issue. Namely, the way Ren'Py structures its animations. It seems biased towards control on the user side, which includes the ability to skip scenes if one so desires.

Due to my hack coding job and general inexperience with the program, this leads to sound effects getting out of sync, animations running while the text is moving, and probably some more stuff I'm missing.

Is there any way to make the animation run without the user being able to interact with it for the duration? Most of the posts I've read seem to point towards no, but I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction on this.

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

Re: Unskippable Animations

#2 Post by Divona »

Completed:

Lemme12

#3 Post by Lemme12 »

^^What Divona said, but what type of animations are you using and with what method? I've had some trouble with animations starting midway/late, but was able to fix them by switching methods.

ShadowScaleFTL
Regular

#4 Post by ShadowScaleFTL »

Pause and hard pause are skipble to.

To solve this a make screens for parts i need to make totaly unskipble.

I dont know will it works while you still need a text in say box.