Top of bottom line showing on the line above?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
UkiTheMaid
Completed: Demon Dinner Date
Organization: GhostGlow Productions

Top of bottom line showing on the line above?

#1 Post by UkiTheMaid »

I'm askign this here because searching for it didn't really wield any results (it was actually hard trying to define what to search for!) So, I started coding my game, but I just encountered a problem: all dialogues boxes have this annoying thing where like, one or two pixels of the characters under one line show up, like this:
error1.PNG
error1.PNG (7.35 KiB) Viewed 845 times
error2.PNG
error2.PNG (7.71 KiB) Viewed 845 times
Like, the very top of tall characters like l, h, and so on show up on the line above them, and it's making me so angry, like, the first thing i see when the dialogue box pops up it's that!

I thought that, at first, I needed to make the spacing between the lines bigger, but not even a spacing of 30 pixels would solve the issue. Is it a problem of the font I'm using, perhaps? That doesn't happen when I'm using the default ren'py font. Is it maybe because it's not a truetype font? (I'm just resistant about changing the font because I liked this one I picked a lot. It's very clean to read and fits my game well).

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

Re: Top of bottom line showing on the line above?

#2 Post by Windchimes »

I remember I had that problem before with a particular font in an old project... I don't have the .rpy with me right now, but if I remember correctly, off the top of my head, I thinkkkk I messed with the values for line_leading and line_spacing. I can't remember if it worked out after setting the values negative or positive, though, but I know I did try negative values before (though I can't remember if the result was what I wanted or made things worse lol). I could be wrong about this >< I can check my .rpy file when I get home if you want me to/if someone else hasn't given a proper answer already.

UkiTheMaid
Completed: Demon Dinner Date
Organization: GhostGlow Productions

#3 Post by UkiTheMaid »

I'll try to poke around that and see if that fixes the problem! I'm glad I'm not the only one who ever had this issue!

AdjacentKitten
Deviantart: AdjacentKitten

#4 Post by AdjacentKitten »

I've got the same problem, except it seems that it happens moreso with the outline I put down on the character element rather than the font. The text (or outline, in this case) in the line directly below seems to load in alongside the first line. I recognize this may be related to the line_spacing and line_leading commands, but I don't know how to implement those to fix anything.

Can anyone help me out?

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#5 Post by Donmai »

line_spacing and line_leading are text styles: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style_pr ... properties
The first controls the number of pixels of spacing to include below each line, and the second changes the number of pixels to include above each line. You can try adding a style block on one of your scripts:

Code: Select all

style default:
    line_spacing 1
Start with a value of one pixel, and increase it if needed. I can't guarantee it will solve your problem, though.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

AdjacentKitten
Deviantart: AdjacentKitten

#6 Post by AdjacentKitten »

Donmai wrote:line_spacing and line_leading are text styles: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style_pr ... properties
The first controls the number of pixels of spacing to include below each line, and the second changes the number of pixels to include above each line. You can try adding a style block on one of your scripts:

Code: Select all

style default:
    line_spacing 1
Start with a value of one pixel, and increase it if needed. I can't guarantee it will solve your problem, though.
You rock. It worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.