Can Ren'Py make a game like this?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
CarlyJane

Can Ren'Py make a game like this?

#1 Post by CarlyJane »

I was on another game engine website and someone recommended this visual novel engine to me...I don't know if it can make something like this? I've never used ren'py before but played many of my favorite games on here and have used an engine sort of like this one.

I did read some previous post on here about creating maps and allowing the person to click on it for example if a player were to click on a map it would enlarge like another image would show up? Wondering that too. :shock:

May not be what I'm looking for I don't know, the interface reminds me a bit of episode interactive?

So yes, I'm trying to create a point and click style game. Like the images I posted.
Attachments
for gif-auyibtmh.gif
kathy.jpg

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Can Ren'Py make a game like this?

#2 Post by Mammon »

It's possible, I've seen ren'py games with point-and-click before and I have a very shallow understanding how it might work, but it's difficult. (Don't take my word for it, the possible nor the difficult part, I have no experience with this) Especially for a beginner, since you'll be working with raw code. If you can affort it or make good art and writing yourself, it might be adviseable to look for a programmer with experience if you don't have it yourself. If you do, then yes, ren'py can and probably will work for you.

I don't know if there are other (free) game engines that work well with point-and-click, so I can't recommend anything else as an alternative.

BTW, what is the second game in your screenshots? It reminded me of Heroine's quest: Herald of Ragnarok for a moment (definitely try it if you like point-and-click!), and considering that the other game is one I've seen and liked, I might want to check it out at some point.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

There is an example of how to do a point-and-click in the cookbook here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20541

Check it out.

Generally speaking, a LOT can be done. Ren'py by itself can do a lot, and Ren'py is based on Python, and Python can do a lot. The question is, are you willing to put in either the time to teach yourself the programming languages to do what sort of complicated thing you want to do, or the money to hire someone to make th code for you.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Kominara

#4 Post by Kominara »

Yes.

Generally, you can use Ren'Py to make just about anything; the real question is "Is Ren'Py the best option for making a game like this?"

Looking into http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ might be a better idea if you're looking to make a straight Western-style point and click game like that.