Switching focus on characters? (help)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
asatiir
Regular
Completed: Within the Walls (Twine)
Projects: Roses Will Rise
Organization: Asatiir's Tales
itch: asatiir

Switching focus on characters? (help)

#1 Post by asatiir »

I tried every possible way to search for this and failed so I apologize if the solution is already out there and is worded better than I tried to. My game has scenes where there are more than two characters on screen in one go, with text it would be very difficult to see who's talking and was considering of dimming the inactive character's sprites while keeping the talking ones in full brightness. I found a solution in the tutorial game folder but I have a problem with it:

Code: Select all

image logo bright = im.MatrixColor("logo.png",
                                       im.matrix.brightness(.5))
This would be great if the game involved one or two characters since it just mean a few sets of this code would work, but then I have several animated sprites so this means more than one for each character. I could try and make that set (as cubersome as it may get), but I'm wondering if there's a more efficient way to do this?

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Switching focus on characters? (help)

#2 Post by Donmai »

I have to agree that's not an easy search. I could find it because I have a post on the first thread. You want the _last_say_who variable.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35367
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =8&t=34286
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

asatiir
Regular

#3 Post by asatiir »

Sorry that I had to reply so late, both options you posted seem good for static images but not animated ones. (sorry for not making it clearer in the original post)

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#4 Post by Donmai »

Ok.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

asatiir
Regular

#5 Post by asatiir »

I posted that around 4AM my time, I came to realize that if they're shaded and animated the screen is going to be very busy. The second link will be very useful for what I have in mind, if only I can find a way to catch the last frame of the animation of the inactive character(s)

P.S. @Donmai You tend to be among the first to come and help whenever I ask something here, and I thank you for that lol