Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Post Reply
Message
Author
KhymerrahApplebi
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:23 am
Contact:

Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

#1 Post by KhymerrahApplebi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Hello, everyone! I've recently come across Ren'py as a suggestions from the CrossCode development stream. I'm trying to make a Danganronpa/Ace Attorney type game which led me to a visual novel style, but I would really like some VERY simplistic tile based sprite movement(up, down, left, right) OR sprite based Point and Click movement ,a la King's Quest. Was wondering if this was possible with Ren'py?


Ren'py seems so accommodating to new comers of code, so I'd love to learn it, but don't want to get ahead of myself and start over with another program if this won't suffice!

Thank you for your help!

EDIT : I was looking through the rest of the forum to learn the extent of the program and found the perfect example game: Corpse Party! They also said things about Unity and a Fungus plugin. Perhaps that's more of what I'm looking for?

User avatar
Kaen
Regular
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

#2 Post by Kaen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:01 am

Hiya,

You can make point & click using screens with imagebuttons.

As for sprite movement, I'm not sure what you want to do exactly but probably ATL will cover everything you need.

User avatar
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Posts: 4053
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:37 am
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

#3 Post by papillon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:39 pm

It's certainly possible, but possible doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job. If you're not comfortable with programming and finding solutions for a lot of questions on your own (because most people posting here really won't know the answer) then you may want to look for a tool more specialised for your needs.

JRPGs and other such games with walking around and so on HAVE been made in RenPy (see Science Girls for one), but you may not find much existing sample code to help you out.

You absolutely do not need unity for that. Don't leap into unity just because everyone uses it, that's a great way to end up with a lot of bloat :) There are things it's good for, and if you want to do 3d stuff it might be a good direction for you, but if you just want a little 2d sprite to walk around the screen, unity may make your life harder rather than easier.

User avatar
trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:33 pm
Projects: A Close Shave
Location: Medford, MA
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

#4 Post by trooper6 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:43 pm

Papillon,

You've done such amazing things with Renpy code over the years, starting with Magical Diary and moving onwards. Have you ever released any of your code so others can study it and learn from it?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

KhymerrahApplebi
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:23 am
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

#5 Post by KhymerrahApplebi » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Kaen wrote:Hiya,

You can make point & click using screens with imagebuttons.

As for sprite movement, I'm not sure what you want to do exactly but probably ATL will cover everything you need.
This is extremely promising, though it looks like it might take some time to finagle in order to get just right. I think this is where I'll start though and see if there's something simple I might be able to make out of it. If you've ever played the Ace Attorney games or any I Spy flash games then that's the kind of gameplay I want. I'd like to be able to insert mouse-over interact-able objects onto a background. I'm pretty sure what you linked covered that, which is awesome. Thank you so much for the direction!
papillon wrote:It's certainly possible, but possible doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job. If you're not comfortable with programming and finding solutions for a lot of questions on your own (because most people posting here really won't know the answer) then you may want to look for a tool more specialised for your needs.
Thank you for the heads up! I'mma pretty fast learner and more than willing to scrounge for the skill and tools I'll need, but no need to make it harder than it is right? Haha. Might you have a suggestion as far as a program? I've used the old RPG Makers before and for the movement I want it's perfect, but trying to also get the VN type feel seems absolutely impossible, at least not with the old versions. Corpse Party was made with the older one, though, so maybe I'll try again. I'll look into the newer ones too, though they are pricey. Ren'Py seemed like a perfect fit for a serious first project. What about GameMaker? I've never used it before, but I believe things like Undertale and Cavestory were made on it so perhaps it's a viable option?
papillon wrote:JRPGs and other such games with walking around and so on HAVE been made in RenPy (see Science Girls for one), but you may not find much existing sample code to help you out.


Ooo! I checked out some screenshots and the combat reminds me of Soul Nomad and the World Eaters! The movement is akin to Ace Attorney games, which I'm OK with. Again, Point & Click if nothing else is better than nothing. Would you know anything about the King's Quest/ Space Quest type games? I'd like to implement something like [Look] [Touch] [Listen] etc. that you would first select and then use on a mouse-hovered object and return different descriptions. Any suggestions?

Image
papillon wrote:You absolutely do not need unity for that. Don't leap into unity just because everyone uses it, that's a great way to end up with a lot of bloat :) There are things it's good for, and if you want to do 3d stuff it might be a good direction for you, but if you just want a little 2d sprite to walk around the screen, unity may make your life harder rather than easier.
Thank you for the warning! It always seemed like it was the only way to go for some time... Though I have heard it has little to no use for 2D. I was looking around the threads and found one about the new Visual Novel maker by Degica and they said Unity wasn't the greatest idea, sooo...I don't think I'm going to be jumping into 3D any time soon, if ever, so I'll leave it as a last resort!

Thank you so much for your help so far!

User avatar
papiersam
Veteran
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:24 pm
Completed: Gem Hunt Beta, 1/Probably, Animunch
Projects: The Panda Who Dreamed
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

#6 Post by papiersam » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Took me some digging and remembering, but I finally found this post. It's something of an Ace Attorney clone, and I think it might help you (I haven't tried it, so I can't give any guarantee).

If you're looking for simple sprite movement, maybe this can help.

I wouldn't say anything you said you wanted to do was too complicated or difficult, but it takes a bit of practice to get a handle of Renpy and programming as a whole enough to be able to scope a project right.

KhymerrahApplebi
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:23 am
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

#7 Post by KhymerrahApplebi » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:23 pm

r_sami wrote:Took me some digging and remembering, but I finally found this post. It's something of an Ace Attorney clone, and I think it might help you (I haven't tried it, so I can't give any guarantee).

If you're looking for simple sprite movement, maybe this can help.

I wouldn't say anything you said you wanted to do was too complicated or difficult, but it takes a bit of practice to get a handle of Renpy and programming as a whole enough to be able to scope a project right.

Holy crud I'm shaking with excitement!!! This is EXACTLY what I was hoping Ren'py could do! It requires some doing, but I'm so pumped! It's like a rabbit hole to everything I was hoping I could accomplish! Thank you thank you thank you! I'm freaking stuck at work, I cannot WAIT to get home! Thank you! All of you have been so helpful to a complete newbie! I'll probably be asking more questions, so please, bear with me!

User avatar
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 pm
Projects: The Space Between
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

#8 Post by LateWhiteRabbit » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:52 pm

trooper6 wrote:Papillon,

You've done such amazing things with Renpy code over the years, starting with Magical Diary and moving onwards. Have you ever released any of your code so others can study it and learn from it?
Not to speak for Papillon, but I'm pretty sure SpikyCaterpiller handles all her coding for her games. She's the designer, writer, and mastermind, and he's the coder.

User avatar
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Posts: 4053
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:37 am
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

#9 Post by papillon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Basically that. While I do have a background in computer science and have done some games on my own, I find it helpful to keep design and implementation separate on complex projects. It speeds things up if we're working on different areas, and it helps limit the desire to cut corners on design just because something is easier to implement.

He does sometimes post code samples here but he's not always great at explaining/documenting :)

User avatar
nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos
Posts: 1824
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:37 am
Location: Kimashi Tower, Japan
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa, Point & Click or Tile based games?

#10 Post by nyaatrap » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:13 am

trooper6 wrote:Have you ever released any of your code so others can study it and learn from it?
I'm not them but here's my gift. (/・ω・)/ https://github.com/nyaatrap/renpy-utilities
Documenting is not done though raw codes must be useful.
Every codes I wrote in this repository are in the public domain. Because I have no interest in credit. It's just my hobby :3

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]