Use of renpy for a project

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
goh69

Use of renpy for a project

#1 Post by goh69 »

Hi, im a student on the last year of my course (technical management and programming of computer systems) and i have to do a project that involves the programming of either a website, game, etc.. and im planning on doing a visual novel and it seems that renpy is the best for me to use but this project has some few set rules:

The code needs to be "complex" so basically the more complex the code the better is the grade i get, so while renpy offers features like a main menu that lets the user start a new game, load a game, or adjust settings, etc... i would like to know if that can be disabled, i would like to do my own menu and program the settings myself, every little bit of code is important.

Another aded rule is that i also need a database and i dont know if renpy supports database systems like SQL, if it supports in which way can i use it, a vn doesnt need a database but i have to find a way to use it.

Help would be appreciated, this is a project that will decide my future, if renpy cant offer me this which other software should i use to make a vn? have in note that i can also add like rpg elements if needed.

Thanks for the attention.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Use of renpy for a project

#2 Post by Ocelot »

basically the more complex the code the better is the grade i get
Why RenPy then? If you were to reimplement majority of RenPy features yourself, you would write a lot of very complex code.
while renpy offers features like a main menu that lets the user start a new game, load a game, or adjust settings, etc... i would like to know if that can be disabled, i would like to do my own menu and program the settings myself
You can delete deafault screens and write your own (most projects end rewriting them in the course of development anyway). Settings themselves are mostly hardcoded in RenPy and you only have access to them.
i also need a database and i dont know if renpy supports database systems like SQL
RenPy allows to use Python. Anything what Python can do (
everything
) it can do too. I doubt that SQL module is in default configuration, but you can add it yourself.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#3 Post by firecat »

nope the code will be made, the only way to not make the engine make the code would be to download a 3th party software that supports python writing, after that start coding and then replace the script files, screen, gui (if you did the new one), and options.

i honestly do not know if SQL will run on renpy engine. the new update made a mess of things causing many of the things we worked on become broken.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

8oni
Regular
Completed: Midnight Encounter, White World
Tumblr: 8oni
Deviantart: 8oni

#4 Post by 8oni »

Why not use AS3 then? You will have to program everything from the scratch and by everything I means even to the way the text will show up because by default if you use AS then the text will show up line per line not per character like normal vn.

Also, to make a save load you will have to program too, you will have to get the shared data object working so your progress can be saved.

And on database, you can use XML to load text or picture so they can work like database. You can even make a high score like stuff so if for example your vn have a death route you can have the 'wall of death count' lol.

So yep, I think it's hard enough, which is why if you ever successful on making a VN using AS3, please teach me how, I am serious. I have experience in AS but even if I want to make a vn using AS3 you can see why I don't do that based on what I write above lol.

Anyway, I think RenPy is complicated enough though so whatever you choose, good luck.